Sign in to follow this  

OT - Where Should We Go?

Guest Heather 636

Back in the late seventies, I lived for about two years in the Siskiyou mountain range of Oregon. Hardly a day goes by that I don't have fond memories of some of the scenery I experienced there on my many hikes into those mountains.Well, my family and I are seriously talking of packing it up here and departing Arkansas in favor of the Pacific Northwest.California is out, I never want to live there again. Too expensive and bureaucratic.Oregon too, as my brother's mother-in-law, a very sweet lady, will be selling her house and relocating as well. She has been led to understand that the taxes are somewhat high there and that she will also be taxed on her late husbands fireman's pension just as though it were a regular income. I would like it there, but . . .My sister-in-law wishes to be within a few hours drive of the ocean; all that leaves is Washington.I've been up to Seattle a few times on business and always loved that city. One of the few large cities that impressed me by appearing "clean." Other than that though, I know very little about Washington.We are even considering western Idaho or Colorado (I just want my mountains back and forests of Douglas firs.) The sister-in-law can live without the ocean but wants four or five acres for her horses.I would love to give Alaska a try but we know very little about living there and the others are extremely hesitant about going THAT far.So, with that in mind, where do you think we should go and why?Keeping in mind, taxes, the job market, environment, etc, etc.Thanks for your two-cents worth.Heather

There is also Wyoming & Montana in that direction. I'm from Idaho, but live in Utah which has great scenery, but the politics/taxes "suck"!L.Adamson

This is way cool Heather :)I am going to learn some geography here I hope ;)And is not REally OT because we can all go fly and check out your new home :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Heather 636

I've heard that about Utah L.Adamson, in regards to the politics and taxes. Beautiful country!! But, have to be able to eat to enjoy it.It will be at least a year Anniette. There's a lot to do to fix-up my brother's mother-in-laws house before putting it on the market.But that gives us plenty of time to do our homework. At least now we have a plan and something to look forward to. It will be SO GOOD to be back in the mountains again. I really miss that part of the country.In fact, I'm thinking of looking into the community college here in regards to possibly enrolling into a nursing training program. With that certification, here in America, you can move almost anywhere you choose and find work. Some places need nurses so bad that they even have a hire-on bonus.Come on folks. Tell me something about your Pacific Northwestern state. MAKE me want to move there!! ;)Cheers!Heather

Heather,Ever think of New Hampshire. I live 20 miles from the ocean and 20 miles from the mountains. Absolutely no taxes (Income or sales). Clean air, clean water, great lakes. I just got back from the lake. Took my grandson boating. Boston is only 60 miles away, if you like the big city with its museums, concerts, etc.Semper FiJim Golden, GySgt, USMC (Ret.)

Guest Timbo

I don't want to be a sore thumb, but this has nothing to do with MSFS and would probably be more suited for the General Discussion forum.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated June 29th!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Guest SoarPics

Hi Heather,I've flown over and ridden motorcycle through much of the western U.S., and based upon the criteria you listed here are my recommendations:Northern Idaho or Western MontanaCoure d' Alene/Kellogg, Idaho-- Simply pretty country, people have always been friendly, lakes and mountains nearby.McCall, Idaho-- near Payette lake, small town, work may be difficult to find, but a beautiful place.Lewiston, Idaho-- a large town (for Idaho), near mountains and closer to the ocean (across Washington).Kalispell/Polson, MT-- near Flathead Lake and Glacier N.P. (an incredible place... some of my best photograghy has been created at Glacier).Of course, in the region I've mentioned you'll need to have some snow shoes. But it is some of the most stunning country I've ever seen. I fly/ride there at every opportunity (planning a ride to Central Idaho-- Salmon area-- for later this summer... can't wait).Hope this helps, and hope you're happy with your choiceRegards,

Guest Iain Spowart

Heather,Based on my very limited experience of America, I'd have to agree with Jim on New Hampshire. A very lovely place with great scenery and no taxes :-)I stayed a while in NH a couple of years ago and drove up to the White Mountains and back down to Boston and have wanted to go back ever since.Iain Spowart,Scotland.Webmaster and photographer,Scottish Claymores 2002Cheerleaders Fan Sitehttp://www.claymorescheerleaders.com/media/avsim/2002-s.jpghttp://ClaymoresCheerleaders.com

Well, I live in the Seattle area & I love it here. I would never consider moving away. It really doesn't rain as much as people say it does, and it's especially beautiful right now, in the summer. There are also many areas outside Seattle that are away from the traffic & the "overpriced homes" of King County. Great place for aviation related stuff, too. Being so close to Boeing, I mean (museum of flight, Everett plant, etc.). Seattle's great. I was born here & never really want to move away (except for school, maybe).EDIT: Oh yes, the outdoors experience too. The Port Angeles area on the Olympic Penninsula is a absolutely beautiful area with incredibly CHEAP housing! I'ts only about 40 miles from where I am now, & if I had a digital camera, I'd post a pic of the Olympic Mountain range. Very senic. I lived in Port Angeles about 2 years ago & I loved it there, but since I'm only 16, I really had no choice but to move away with my family :). Right now, I live in Kitsap county which offers a happy medium between Seattle & The real backwoods areas. Merely a ferry ride from Seattle & 40 minutes drive from the Olympic Mtns. About 1/4 mile (I can smell it right now :)) to the Hood Canal, & 2 hours drive to the open Pacific ocean (Rialto Beach). Nothing but water between there & Japan. Well I found some pics of my area, so here they are: ( I just found these on some website, but they're pretty accurate) Pic #1: Deception Pass, about 20 miles from where I live.Pic #2: Ruby Beach, Olympic Nat. ParkPic #3: Olympic Nat. ParkPic #4: Hoh Lake

Guest Heather 636

Hi Timbo,I fully expected this response and you are entirely right. I gave this a great deal of consideration before posting here as I knew it was better suited to "general" discussion.My reasons for ignoring that fact is that since I have become a member of this community, I have not once visited the general discussion forum and two, here is where the people who I have come to view as my friends reside. I really wanted there opinions and in as much that I have never been to the general discussion forum, I couldn't help but wonder how often they go there too.But, no worries, you are entirely right and NOT a "sore thumb." I was somewhat surprised to see this thread still here this morning .My apologies for any irritation I may have caused by intentionally placing this thread where it didn't belong.Cheers!Heather

Guest Heather 636

Hey! Thanks everyone for your responses. They sound great!There are indeed some absolutely gorgeous areas in the northeast. Especially in the fall. Virginia and Maryland were picture-postcard perfect with fall color last time I was through there some years ago. And Maine, wow!I hesitate though in regards to the winters up in that neck of the woods. But then, no place is perfect or else EVERYONE would live there, then it wouldn't be perfect anymore.Besides, did you see those pics from Washington? You really know how to hurt me! Beautiful!! Gotta get back there!! Or at least nearby, statewise.Still open for suggestions and information. I do have to admit that the tax deal in N.H. looked very enticing. Despite scenic beauty, have to look at everything all the way around.Cheers y'all!Heather

Guest Lobaeux4

Heather, I would say anywhere in Washington has to be better than Arkansaw. I graduated from High school in Snohomish Washington, so I'm pretty partial to that area. Anywhere north of Seattle is absolutely beautiful. Anything's got to be better than this squalor that is Jacksonville, Arkansas.Lobaeux

It is definatly not off topic and i never look in the general topics forum.I could start up my flight sim and say where should I go and that is on topic so this topic is right to be here because i am using it to decide where to fly about ,the fact i may see Heather(WHo is absolutly gorgeous by the way) in her moving van is total coincidenceSo at the moment I am, as Lobaeux sugests " north of Seattle is absolutely beautiful." checking this out :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Lobaeux4

Unfortuanetly Alpha, I don't think MS has got most of the airports correct for this area. Harvey Field for instance, is a little more developed than is in MSFS, but most airports are like that. In fact, I went to high school with the kids who's dad owns that airport. But, for sheer scenery value, try the cascades, they're absolutely gorgeous, and I've seen mesh scenery for this area. In the springtime, north of Snohomish Country is the tulip festival, tulips as far as the eye can see, absolutely beautiful. AND, if you head a little west from the mountains of the Cascades, you're right amongst the San Juan Islands, they're fantastic as well. I haven't really looked yet to see how they're modeled in MSFS, but in real life it's breathtaking, in a ferry, amongst the islands. Arkansas just can't compete with Washington state, but I admit the area in northwest arkansas, and north of Heber Springs, the Ozarks are pretty. It's an amazing world, AlphaLobaeux

Hi Heather,It would seem, considering the priorities that you mention and to assure a fair standard of living, that the general Seattle area would be the winner. It sure is a great place - lived there for a short while - friendly people if you don't mention that you're from California.Good Luck with your choice.