Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain williams

FMC, Approach and Wind Speed

Guest iain williams

Hi:Just a query. When landing the 737 in cross wind or head wind conditions should you enter the wind componont into the FMC so that the landing V speed and flap increment levels are altered to take the wind into account?On the FMC is this the WINF CORR +5KN line select key?In Fred Claudens's tutorial in the approach section, he mentions in his "info bit" section the following:"If we had wind conditions, we would have to correct the approach speed by (going off memory here) adding the constant wind speed and one half of the gust component, I think that is the right forumla".Does anyone know the correct formula to calculate this??Many thanks as always..............Iain (Australia)

Guest ekchflyer

Hi IainI really want to help- but iam not quite sure if Iam right about this but I hope so!!!more than 10 knt.vref+1/2x+the gustbelow 10 knt. vref+5Just read in in another post hope it is what you are looking for!All the bestKenn Larsen:-)

Guest iain williams

Hey Kenn:Thanks very much. I'm using active sky live weather quite a bit now and wind often is an issue, so I wanted to ensure the calculation was the right one.It didn't really matter until now, as wind was never really an issue using the FS9 fine weather scenario!......Thanks again.....Iain

Guest canyonblue737

a good system is to use half of the wind speed and all of the gust.for example: 270/17G24 would be half of 17 = 9 (rounding up) and all of the gust would be 7 (24-17=7). 9+7=16 so fly vref + 16 as your target speed and what you put into the MCP speed window. one important thing to remember is your correction should never exceed vref+20 nor be less than vref+5 no matter the wind or other issues to prevent excess speed or too little a margin.