Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshieca

Which GeForce 4?

I am currently considering upgrading my GeForce2 GTS 64MB card to A GeForce4 128 MB card. Can someone tell me if the difference between the GF4 4200 and the GF4 4600 is worth the considerable price difference ($100 CDN)? From the specs I can't see a huge difference but perhaps experienced users can advise me... ThanksASUS A7V333 MBO512 MB DDR RAM PC 2700Athlon XP 2000+John-PaulToronto

Guest sssummer

The difference is the memory core clockspeed. Save yourself some money and buy a 4200 or 4400. I have a 4400 and you can overclock it to the same as the 4600 speed 300/650.

Guest sssummer

One more thing. I believe the 4200 has 64 MB memory vs 128 for the 4400 or 4600. :)

Guest PaulL01

The best use of your money would probably be the Gainward GF4-4200 64mb card at less than $150 at CompUSA. compared to its 128mb version you wont see the difference even at 1600x1200x32 with 4xAA the 128mb card will only pull slightly ahead in FS2k2, and when I mean slightly I mean perhaps 0.5 FPS. However you can get a Visiontek or PNY/MSI 4200 128mb card for less than $200 at BestBuy or CompUSA.You would see more of a differenace going for the speed of a 4600 maybe a whole 1.0 FPS under the same conditions as FS2k2 is just not very video card bound, I have about 50 or so benchmarks of FS2k2 running different settings on diferent cards all on the same "canned" flight and it would might surprise some folks what kind of performance you will find on a good machine but with the different cards. I just can't seem to find enough time to put this all together but I am working on it.Bottom line is the extra dough that you lay out will not be realised in performance, but if money is not a thought then get a good 4600 like the Gainward XP750 golden sample (can run two LCDs)as Gainward is noted for quality and speed.most GF4TI cards can be broken down this way:4200 can O/C to 300/630 core/memory (near 4600 300/650 speed!)4400 can O/C to 300-310/630-700 (mine has been running 305/680 and still room)4600 can O/C to 310-330/680-730+what this means is you can get very very close to 4600 perfrmance at $150 in a 4200 card!Take care,

Paul,Never having overclocked anything is their any information available as to how this might be accomplished in the Ti4 series?Thanks---Jerry---

Guest Joshieca

You can overclock using a program like NVMAX....can be found almost anywhere....You need to take a look at what your going to use your new video card for. If you just using it for FS2k2 then you will be fine with a 4400.....I saw no difference in Fs2k2 from a GF3 to GF4. BUT if you play any of the new games coming out.....esp. some of the new one''s that are headed our way this fall, those people who "saved" money on the 4200/4400 will be out of luck and not able to get the frame rates they want.So in a nutshell, for todays games, the 4600 is overkill, BUT for tomorrows games (fall 02) they will be barely able to keep up with the graphics.[br][br][div align=center]http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif][br