Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankathl

Incorrect Runway Headings in FS

Guest frankathl

Hi,Is there any way to alter runway headings in FS so that they align properly with the actual(ie. real life) ILS final approach course? In some(many?) cases the runway heading is off by 1 or more degrees. As an example, Rwy 27R at EGLL is 273 degrees on the approach chart, 275 degrees in FS. While this does not prevent the aircraft tracking the runway centerline in VOR LOC or APP mode, since the localizer will be correctly aligned(with the 275 deg heading, in the example), there is a

Guest frankathl

I thought I'd try to resurrect this query, as it was previously buried under the flurry of requests for beta shots of the forthcoming "Queen of the Skies".Anyone any ideas? Is this an issue for you who use real charts as much as possible?Best wishes,Frank

Guest Ruahrc

Just a guess... but what are the dates of the charts you are using? I think that the magnetic headings of airfields needs to be changed every so often due to drift in the earth's magnetic field... and that 2005 was the year in which things were going to get updated.... Perhaps this is the source of your errors?Ruahrc

Guest frankathl

Good point, Ruahrc. My charts are from the latest version of SimCharts. Checking my Pilots' Free Flight Atlas shows that Magnetic North has moved about 100NM closer to True North since 2001, without there being much 'lateral' movement, although it could be 1 or 2 degrees, I guess. Of course, given that there is some change in mag var from year to year, FS values will also deviate over time.I think, though, that the problem is a well known one in FS itself. What I was hoping is that there might be some way to change the magnetic variation for individual airports. From what Lee Swordy says(and he should know!), magnetic heading is derived from a magnetic variation map of some kind(not the value for the individual runway), and there isn't any way of updating this(if I read him correctly).Even if this is the case, I would be interested in other simmers confirming my experience(I know others have noticed this phenomenon in the past).BR,Frank