Sign in to follow this  
Guest _Christopher_

TECH SUPPORT -- in hopes of a better simulator . . . .

Hello, all.Well, I found a great deal from Tiger Direct for 1GB single stick memory and I got a stick to bring my memory up. According to the order taker I spoke to on the phone it **should** have played well with mine, as both mine and the order were DDR 400, PC3200.I have TERRIBLE luck with finding tech support ANYWHERE, but I know that a lot of folks here on this forum know their stuff, so at the risk of starting a memory debate, I'd like to know what anyone would make of the following comparisons:The memory I already have is Kingston (part KHX3200AK2/1G) and is PC3200, 1024MB, 64Mx64, 184DIMM with a latency of 2-3-2-6-1, and is non-ECC.The memory I bought is Corsair (part VS1GB400C3) and is PC3200, 1024MB, 128Mx64, 184DIMM, non-ECC. I could not find any Latency specs on the Corsair Web Site. Under latency it just listed "N/A".When i install the memory I dual channel my Kingston (slots 1 and 3 which are PURPLE) and I had the new stick in slot two which is GREEN. I have no clue if that makes a difference or if the two purples and two greens are just reminders for dual channelers.My Kingstons are two sticks of 512's and I am trying to cut out the 512 sizes to max out my memory slots with single gig sticks liek this Corsair I just bought.I REALLY do not want to send this back, as I have it installed by itself right now (the poor Kingstons sitting here in front of me pouting under their cooling system) and it works beautifully by itself. The Kingstons, also, work beautifully by themselves, but put the two together and I get system crashes and random reboots.The only difference I could see in the different web site manufacturers' stats on their various pages, besides the latency, was the 64Mx64 as opposed to 128Mx64. I have no idea what that means.Can any fellow simmer help me? I'd love to hear all of your ideas and opinions before I decide to send this back or not. My decision to send or not send will be made by tomorrow night depending on what I find out here. Or I could keep the Kingstons and put em in a puter me love is planning on building if you folks think this Corsair stuff is still good (heck 1GB at 92 bucks I'll go ahead and slot THOSE out and make them play well), but I do not want to buy any more of the stuff until I know what these colors on the mobo slots mean for sure.I have the manual for my mobo here, but as usual, and typical of mobo manuals, it is cryptic at best and assumes you are a tech freak that knows the jargon. Consider me jargonless, so please go easy in your answers **smiles**Thanks a whole bunch for any help, guys and gals.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Easy way to learn your Latencies is to download CPUzhttp://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.phpAnd Also, I've read your post a few times but couldn't see you mentioning the exact problem... Or is that just my eyes? :-lol

The exact problem is that when I have BOTH sets of memory installed the system crashes and randomly reboots itself. Flight Simulator was REALLY screwed up with it (my Flight1 licenses all read like they were invalid and my FSD aircraft freaked out on graphics).When I have just this gig stick installed everything is great.When i have just the 512 sticks of the other it works great.But put the two sets together and the system hates em.

I downloaded that CPUs -- nice program. I love it already. I just ran the check with the new memory and created an HTM report. Going to shut down, reinsert my old memorty and do the same on it and upload the results to my web site for folks to see better what I am looking at.Many thanks.

Okaaaay . . . both are checked . . . . .Here is at least the memory portion of the results:=================================================CORSAIR:Memory DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM DRAM Size 1024 MBytes DRAM Frequency 199.5 MHz FSB:DRAM 1:1 CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks RAS# Precharge 3 clocks Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks # of memory modules 1 Module 0 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 1024 MBytes =================================================KINGSTON:Memory DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM DRAM Size 1024 MBytes DRAM Frequency 199.5 MHz FSB:DRAM 1:1 CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks RAS# Precharge 3 clocks Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks # of memory modules 2 Module 0 Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes Module 1 Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes =================================================The rest of my computer looks like it had the exact same results (as figured) but here is the stuff just in case:CPU(s) Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical) CPU#1 APIC ID = 0 Name Intel Pentium 4 Code Name Prescott Specification Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz Family / Model / Stepping F 4 1 Extended Family / Model 0 0 Package mPGA-478 Core Stepping E0 Technology 0.09

I dont do much with intel anymore so I'm sure I'm not familer with your BIOS.Having said that. If possible to adjust your memory timings in BIOS I would reduce them to 3-3-3-8. On some mobo's BIOS you can also adjust the memory voltage, usally in increments of 1/10 volt. Some mobo's have a jumper located close to the memory slots that do the same thing, that info should be in your mobo's manual.I have had situations wher the voltage had to be increased to accomedate more than 1 DIMM. In fact on some boards with fast timings I had to up the voltage to run with T1 (Command Rate 1), this resulted in a substancial increase in performance.By having two sticks with different timings the BIOS can get confused using the auto setting, if it try's to use 2.5 and the other stick rated for 3 tries to run at 2.5 it may not be able run at that 2.5 latency, bingo, problems. It's the same idea with the IDE interface, if you have an ATA-33 AND an ATA-133 HD the system automaticaly runs at ATA-33 speed.Memory being a different animal isn't all that aoutomatic, so use the lower timings of the two sticks and possibly a voltage increase. Just go one step at a time with the voltag until stable.Luck

I actually understood all of that. Makes a lot of sense.I will immediately take a look at my BIOS and see what I can find. I will re-post here with my findings **smiles**