Sign in to follow this  
Guest sandman181

Did IT! Yahoo! Managed "the Autoland/FMS Beast"!

Guest sandman181

Dear 737NG captains,I wouldn't deprive you of my latest success story. After a midday's session by a far more experienced 737-driver I began my training. And, thus it happened! I did my first ever CatIII-ILS autolanding at KSFO 28R this evening. It took me quite a while figuring out how the AFDS combines/interacts with the FMS and reading the annunciations on my PFD. The thing is, I noticed during practise, it's all about making the right decisions at the right moment(s). Ergo, for newbies in mastering the "autoland-beast", pushing the right button at the exact right moment during descent/approach. It's a daunting task for sure. The autolanding I performed today wasn't a text-book landing, but for me the main thing is, I have a grasp of the AFDS/FMS system during autolanding now. What happened was, I had an AC in front of me (during finals) and I was getting a bit (just a bit) excited about activating my AP-B. TCAS was on, so I got this big red hash on my PFD, meaning something "watch it traffic ahead" :-) ! Thing is, I only think, that in such circumstances TCAS is telling AFDS/FMS "don't perform this landing or things will happen". So, it happened that during some hectic moments during final-landing my AP-A and AP-B aswell as the APP automatically switched off. Only by persisting in finishing this first auto-land, thus frequently pushing the APP, AP-A and AP-B buttons again I managed to (auto)land. That is to say, every time I got the autoland to react again I noticed thhat my AC reacted as it should, namely lining up with the center-line and making the last feet of the descent. The other AC made a missed approach I gather :-). Well that's it. I was rather proud of myself actually. I understand that for some of you out there this was a long time ago. Maybe you can shed some light on my experiences during TCAS intervention or the whole story itself.Like to hear from you guys.

Guest carlonch

Yes I still remember the infinite times I pressed pause at the beginning of one of my first "serious" flights with the 737-700 PMDG. I felt totally overwhelmed by all the procedures to follow at every stage of the flight.(It was my first paid add-on)Now, after almost a year I feel like at home in the 737 virtual cockpit. What worries me now is the fact that until now I have paid very little attention to the "ATC part". Maybe on FS2006? :-)CarlosGCLP

Guest sandman181

Thanks Carlos! Great reply.