Sign in to follow this  

GeForce2 or GeForce3? how r they different, how r they

Hi,I have a Compaq with a 733mhz, 128mb ram, 20GB, and some intel graphics card. Current things i don't like is the fps is around 4-13 on average with FS2002. Currently the images(logos, text) on planes look clear, but edges on planes are not that great. the maximum resolution i can use is 1024*768.Its real choppy at times, and most of us all don't like the idea of going into the graphics menu and turning it down a little... it hurts us all. So keeping that out of my options i'm deciding on getting a new graphics card. The word on the street is GeForce is the best out there... only opinions of course. GeForce4 is nice but will probably burn a hole :-ukliam in my pocket with great graphics, hahaha, sorry for the bad joke. so i'm thinking something like a GeForce2 32mb, or a GeForce3 64mb. I'm guessing the graphics on both are going to be the same, but the G3 will have a better fps, am i right? Does Anyone know the price difference? Also has anyone noticed better fps with more ram? from 128 to 256 for example? How much is a 128 stick anyway? sorry i haven't been too helpful with what i have already, but can someone tell me if buying a G2 or G3 will help my fps? All help is appraciated. Any other suggestions folks?Thanks,Alp.s. does anyone now if people can try out the new e-d glasses on stores like bestbuy or compusa?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

First, take a look at my response and screenshot in this thread:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8I have to warn you, if you have a Compaq 733mhz system, chances are very good that the MB on the unit may not support a GeF/2 or 3, even if it has an open AGP slot. Search the usenet via google.com to see if you can find some anecdotal info on your specific system when used with GeF cards. The reason I warn about this, is some older MB's have voltage regulators which don't work well with today's crop of AGP cards. I really lucked out in this case... My IWill MB on my homebuilt system wasn't up to AGP specs (2.0 is 'required' by Nvidia)--mine was a 1.0 slot. But its voltage regulator was up to spec, and the GeF/2 has been very stable on my system. Also, Nvidia recommends a 250W power supply for the GeF/2, and a 300W power supply for the GeF/3. I have a 250W supply running w/my GeF/2, with no problems. But I have few peripherals, which draw from the power supply. I remember some Compaqs had digital capture cards built in, dvd's and CD R/W's, but they fell short on the power supply. If you have a similarly equipped system, a 300W power supply is a very good idea.As for RAM, 256Megs is a must, but I wouldn't bother with more than 512 megs... Also, a GeF/2 64 meg card is a must...you need the texture memory to support FS2002's large textures. My other response in the thread link I provided should give you an idea about my performance.-John

I ran a GeForce 2 MX400 32MB Twin view PCI card on a 600MHZ Compaq off-the-shelf model until recently. Fantastic card, and probably all you need with your rig. They're cheap now, too. Enormous improvement over the onboard Intel 410 card, both in performance and video quality. Such a great improvement that I would recommend it to anyone with your setup.Note I say PCI card. It is unlikely that your Compaq has an AGP slot, but check this - you didn't say your model no., but I suspect it was just before the generic change to AGP slots.My newer computer, mind you, has both slots. For what it's worth, I now have my card installed in my 1.8GHZ machine alongside my GeForce 2 MX100/200 64MB (I run three monitors) that shipped with the computer. The old card is faster.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Good comment on your Compaq with the MX.... How did you disable the onboard Intel? Through a jumper, or by disabling it in the Windows H/W profile?-John

With an axe .....In all seriousness, it was a nightmare, but probably because I'm thick. No jumper, no, but I seemed to screw up at every turn.In theory, you can just remove it using DEVICE MANAGER; disabling it is not enough because it is recognised every time you reboot. However, it wasn't that easy. Short of writing another epic here, try it first and if you have problems a) talk to Compaq or :( talk to me!You can't physically remove it, that's for sure. The average user can't, anyway.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. After deleting registry entries and everything, the fun started when I tried to REINSTALL it when I removed my GeForce from the old unit. Aaarggh. Did it eventually, though.http://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

thank guys,I think i will go for a Ge2 with 64mb. Thats what i can afford at this time, and it doesn't sound too bad. I will check with the power supply before buying. but can someone please explain the difference between the MXs and the no MXs its real confusing b/c i know that there is are different G2 64mb cards. Thanks again