Sign in to follow this  

In reply to Jaap

I posted this on his thread, but I'm not sure if there's a bug in my system or not... but it didn't show up when I posted it... so I'm reposting it here. I hope you don't mind, and I'll edit it away if my original post appears..._________________________________________________________________Jaap,Hello from the UK. I'm sad to hear the way you feel about having your post removed. At the same time, I think it's a good gesture that someone took the time to mail you an explanation as to why. I haven't read the post, and obviously not read the explanation, but I can understand that you feel hesitant to post again. As Mike says, there are many people from diverse backgrounds here and I do feel that AVSIM is more of an international site than you give it credit for. I have never felt any cultural conflicts here.But in retrospect, I do recall having posted recently on a couple of threads that have since been removed from the forums. It's a shame that a thread might be removed because it gets a little heated (there really isn't any need to wrap it too heavily in cotton wool). There's nothing wrong in having a good bust-up now and again just to prove that we all feel strongly and are passionate about our interests, hobbies and passtimes. When a thread gets removed for that reason, I feel somewhat disheartened.At times I fear that the forum might just end up as one great big support site, with people only ever posting when they need a question answered... and to be quite frank, that's the point where I say my goodbyes. I'm not sure yet whether that trend is expanding or not. However, when I see a thread about something really meaningful, fun or insightful, I realise that there are some interesting posts out there after all! The latest Round The World jaunt is a fine example.I think, in all fairness to the people that moderate so many forums, that their job is somewhat subjective and there is a real need to use their judgement on how they feel a post might be received. I guess it's a question of maintaining some equilibrium and taking careful consideration regarding the feelings of EVERYBODY. And if anyone is able to judge that, I like to think it is them... considering how many posts they must have to read!!!Your comments about deciding for YOURSELF about what you should and shouldn't include in your writing opens up an important debate (and one which I'm sure has occurred here several times... I wonder if those threads were closed by moderators in the end... because it's the kind of debate that can rage on and on and on and on!!!) But on balance, I think your outlet for that kind of freedom from moderation, surely, must come in your books rather than in a FS forum? I hope you understand that I mean this in the most positive way and I don't criticise you for your opinion.I personally hope you'll reconsider your perspective on a moderated forum because I feel that it's necessary to help us find discussion about what we want, where we should find them... and also to protect the rights of ALL the diverse cultural, sexual and political interests, to enjoy discourse in a forum that, in essence, SHOULD be detached from that area of life.Besides... I feel better when I see more European posters! :)In friendship, Simon.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The forums have become considerably stricter a while back because there was a time a while back when some posts got really out of hand with swearing/threatening etc. and Tom did a fine job of cleaning out the trouble makers and since then IMO the site has become a better place. It is now stricter to avoid those kind of posts from occuring again. I think that now it is a better place for all people.You are right that OT posts are taken out which is a shame because some are quite interesting and sometimes we need to talk about something else othere them Flight Sims, but then again we have the Hangar Forum whee we can post all tose things but it's so empty in there and it's still Aviation Talk.Maybe AVSIM should make an Off-Topic forum where we can post anything (moderated off-course) so that people like me, who have no life outside the internet :-lol , can go and talk about anything. That would make more people spend a lot more time on AVSIM, which is good..and bad.Well anyway, it's just my wild ideas.Take careMike