Sign in to follow this  
Guest michaelandre

Drift down after engine(s) failure

Guest michaelandre

Hi gents,Is there any calculation, graph documentation or alike showing how to calculate drift down after engine failure for the PMDG 747. My question is limited to engine failure arising at cruising altitude and not shortly after take-off in mountainous aera for which there are specific procedures.Any hints would be appreciated.ThanksMichael

Guest B1900 Mech

Select the engine out prompt on the climb page,the FMC will give you the opt altitude for your weight and temp.

Guest michaelandre

Hi Jim,Thanks for your reply. You are right the FMC makes some calculations I know that. My question is more of academic nature. I am looking for any kind of graph, chart discussion paper which would help in calculating the drift down.ThanksMichael

Guest D17S

About the only place you are going to get seriously detailed info is in the airplane's performance manual. There will be a whole, separate chapter dedicated to everything you ever wanted to know about "Drift down," but were afraid to ask. Range from start, Altitude Capability, Driftdown speeds, Time and Range, Holding and on and on. If you can find it, get it. They've got to be around somewhere. Ebay? Somewhere. It's a fantastic wealth of information. The MD11's performance manual is called "Flight Crew Operations Manual. Performance Metrics." The 747's pref manual's gotta be something similarly named.Without being seriously expert, this is almost too detailed to discuss effectively. The FMC Vnav engine-out page is the armchair pilots best bet. . . but get the books. Sounds like you're interested. You'll thoroughly enjoy them.

Guest michaelandre

Hi Sam,Thanks a lot I'll get an APM and dig into it. BTW I have seen your posts on the V1 speed discussion quite interesting although I am wondering whetheryour way of getting it does not get you into an unbalanced field situation. Well we may want to discuss this on the other thread.Thanks anywayMichael