Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTH

Navigation method for B1900D?

Guest JTH

Hi everyone, I am attempting to fly the B1900D. I create a flightplan using FS Build v2.2, with a distance of about 115nm between airports. FSB gives me all my waypoints etc and I then export that flightplan to FS 2004.Anyway, my question is this. In real life, how would pilots navigate with this plane? Would they manually tune each VOR station along the route and fly different radials like I would do on my Cessna 172? Or would they fly using GPS, and if so, do they just fly the plane to follow the line on the little GPS screen?Thanks in advance for any help clearing this up. Regards, Greg McGuire.

Guest tmetzinger

Depending on the operator, the airplane may or may not have GPS installed.With GPS, one just loads the flight plan into FS9, and then sets the HSI for GPS and keeps the needle centered.Without GPS, then one flies the route using VORs and radials - real life charts showing airways are helpful in doing this.In the US I've seen lots of GPS retrofitting going on lately - my jobs for GPS flight testing (part of the IFR certification) tripled from 2004 to 2005. I believe this is due to the new focus on RNAV approaches, and the FAA's phasing out of NDBs and terminal VORs when possible.Best wishes,