Sign in to follow this  
Guest Inserico

PMDG 744 fuel planning frustration

Guest Inserico

G'day all:I have just recently got hold of the 744. I have read the manuals which came with it, and specially the fuel planning stage of the Flight planning. I could never get enought fuel for a long hual flight. It always starts off fine but after 3 or 4 hours the FMC displays "Insufficient Fuel" and if I refer back to one of the charts, it does support the FMC's warning... This happens to me everytime in a long haul flight (Over 10 hour flight which I have only really completed 2).Could someone please tell me why this happens and what I could do to resolve it please, thank you, any help would be great thanks.Brendan

Guest Hawkeyeted

PMDG 747 fuel planner to the rescue!http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=73345There are two versions in here. One for European pilots and one for US pilots.Another thing to remember is that the warning shows up when you have entered a number in the "reserves" that is a greater number than what you will land with (i.e. it doesn't mean you'll land with ZERO fuel, just less than your reserve.)Typically, this number is your Alternate + Hold + Min landing fuel. It can be just the Min Landing fuel if you like. The PMDG manual recommends 19K lbs. for a "Short" haul, or 24K lbs. for a "Long" haul. However, I usually use 11.0 lbs (approx. 30 mins.), but still use the recommended figures (19K or 24K) in fuel load planning. By using 11.0, I don't get the "Insufficient Fuel" message. If I do, it's usually because of unforcast winds, not lack of planning.