Sign in to follow this  

Real image vs fs2002 --- Pender Island, BC, Canada

One aspect of fs2002 that I really enjoy is taking virtual flights around places that I've only visited on the ground in Real Life. This summer we had the good fortune to spend some time on Pender Island in British Columbia, Canada. It's one of the "Gulf Islands" between the mainland of BC (nearby city = Vancouver) and the massive island called Vancouver Island (nearby city = Victoria). There was a 900ft hill behind the house we rented called "Mt.Norman", atop of which I took a panoramic shot facing southwest, about 1/2 hour before sunset on June 6. It wasn't until I had a chance to take a Virtual Visit in fs2002 that I learned the names of the islands I was actually seeing! See the attached screenshots for the amazing similarity between Reality and Virtual-Reality. Note that I am using the 30m terrain compiled by Stephen Rothlisberger which I downloaded from http://www.simviation.com/terrain.Full screenshots of the comparison are [... EDIT: I can't enter these links without the (huge) images actually appearing in this posting. Sorry ...]If anyone has some links where fs2002 and real-life images are compared, I'd be grateful for a pointer!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!