Sign in to follow this  

Round the World Tour - Part Seven - N. America East

When posting to this thread, please take care to re-enter the Subject line rather than keeping the previous one. In particular, it's helpful if Location Posts have "Location Post" in the subject line, and it's also helpful when these are direct replies to this first posting in the thread!!

This is the seventh thread in the Round the World Challenge series. We start a new thread when the old one gets to around fifty posts or so in order to make the topic easy-to-follow for everyone. To find out how this flight got started, follow these threads, in order:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7103.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7301.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7345.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7399.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7433.htmlhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7478.htmlThe Challenge was started by Tornado Wilkes.I cannot recommend strongly enough that you read these rules again. There have been several strikes issued, and several flights disqualified, because of missing or misunderstanding of the rules and posts. If you have any questions, please either post it to the thread or send me an email by clicking on the "send an email" link at the top of one of my posts.--TonyHave you ever wanted to fly around the world, but never had the time? Here's your opportunity to take part in a team effort.RULESOn 15 July 2002 (UTC), one intrepid volunteer started the RTW challenge departing Heathrow in Real World Weather. For each pilot, its up to them which way they go, however they must complete a flight of between around 1 and 2 1/2 hour duration. As soon as the leg is completed, they must post a message (with 1 screen shot - no more) on this thread and tell us exactly which Airport (inc. ICAO code) they finished at (N.B. each leg must finish on a runway).PICKING UP THE BATONAnyone wishing to take up the next leg, must reply to that "location post" simply stating that they "have the baton" (in disputes it is the first volunteer that posted who is chosen) and the challenge continues. The pilot with the baton has 3 hours to get back to the forum and post their PIREP and screenshot. If they have not returned in 3 hours, anybody may lay claim to the baton, starting at the previous departing airport -- thus making the current baton-holder's flight null-and-void. However, the 3 hour rule is flexible. If a pilot takes 3 hours and 10 minutes and nobody has laid claim to the baton, the flight is considered valid. BUT if someone claims the baton after 3 hours 5 minutes, the poor baton-holder's flight is null and void. In such circumstances, any subsequent location report posted with regard to the original flight, is deemed null and void. You may not "pick up the baton" in advance.NOTAM #1 by Tornado Wilkes here: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threadedTHE THREE STRIKE RULEThe following activities will earn you a strike.A. Failure to deliver a single screen shotB. Failure to go in a sensible direction (as judged by the flaming community although the challenge still continues from where you finished)C. Failure to use real weather -- either MSFS built-in, or FSMeteo (or work-alikes)D. Failure to Travel a distance that is in keeping with the aircraft chosen and weather. This means no slewing, no speeding up the simulation rate, no fiddling with your aircraft's .air file, etc.E. Attempting to steer or direct the flight whilst not in possession of the batonIf you earn three strikes, you are disqualified for the rest of the event.AIRCRAFTOnly the following aircraft (by any developer) may be used for this challenge:Turboprops (Single or Multi)Props (Single or Multi)HelicoptersBalloons (including blimps)NAVIGATION/ TIME OF DAYUse whatever devices you wish, and at whichever Time of Day you choose FINALLY.......Good luck all, this is our opportunity to prove that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" Tornado Wilkes

The baton is currently in the air. It is being carried by lahso (Michael, our map-maker), who took off from KMGM at about 5:55 AM EDT.--Tony

Hi folks. The home of the empire that spread western culture across much of the globe awaits us. Not long now until we set wheel to terra firma in "merry old" England. I'm ready for a pint of Guinness, how about you? ... (ok, ok, that's Irish, isn't it?...but I like Guinness so I wanted to slip it in there!)Two notes I want to make.1. As we near the end of the flight, please start thinking about (and reviewing) the location posts that have come out. You'll have a chance to vote for the best screenshot and best PIREP submitted (that's two separate categories).Instructions for voting will be posted at the end of our journey.2. The first time the challenge was run, there was some discussion about how people wanted to end the flight... would the last leg simply be flown by whomever got the baton and could do it, or would there be a multi-player flight set up for those who wanted to and could participate? In the end, someone snagged the baton in Iceland, pressed the limits of his plane, and grabbed the glory by managing to put down at Heathrow. Some were put-off, others non-plussed. I mention it in case some of you had ideas and wanted to coordinate what you wanted to do.Please note that I will have no say, and will voice no opinion, on how this happens, as long as all the rules as set out above are followed. Any coordination would have to be done by you. :) Have good flights!--Tony

Hy!I think the last leg should be done symbolic by one of the "officials" (Tornadowilkes, Scabbo or "MapMaker" Lahso). I think they deserve it.Maybe they fly just a short leg starting somewhere out of London, just for the symbolic character (<- don

I agree with czoczek... one of our "esteemed" judges / directors / navigators should fly the last leg.Seems only fitting, they started this !Hawkeyez :-kewl

Howdy,The baton is up for grabs.Luck would have it that my Cessna 421C repaint was done just in time for this flight. I thinks she a beauty, but its my first time to do one though, so be easy on me.Departure: 0955Z KMGMArrival: 1241Z KDCACruise: FL270 160 KIAS; 265 GSCruise Winds: on my tail the whole way, 210 at 20 knots.I departed Montgomery early this morning and got to see a beautiful sunrise over a clear sky in Alabama. We hit a little chop from 10,000 to around 14,000 but nothing too major. After turning to the north we climbed up to FL270 for the ride to the northeast. I was hoping to make it to KHPN, my real world airport, but time just wouldn't allow it. Our flight path took us directly over KATL (Atlanta, GA) and then up the North Carolina/Tennessee border, through Virginia, then we flew the River Visual Approach up the Potamoc into Runway 1 KDCA. It's pretty hazy and a little bumpy around the D.C. Area this morning. Winds were 220/16, which made for a nice smooth crosswind approach. The Cessna is such a dream to fly! Maps, and more excitement shortly...-------------MichaelMake sure you avoid all the TFR;s around Washington, Now is not the time to be intercepted by 2 F-16's!!! :-hahScreenshot: Wheels Up KMGM...

Iahso...1. What tools (cause I've never done it before) did you use to do the repaint?2. What's the cost (USD or Cdn) for that Cessna 421...? (she looks like a beaut.)Thanx...Hawkeyez :-kewl

First of all, let me say that I know NOTHING about repainting. I say that because I just started to use Photoshop day before yesterday. That is the only program that I needed to do this. Flight1 has a template for the 421C at their site (as a matter of fact, I think they have it for all their planes), But this really makes it easy. It took me about 3 hrs to do that paint job. The 421C is $22.95 from www.flight1.com .I think it is my favorite plane ever, and I used to only fly jets. I rarely change planes now, and if I do its only if I am going to fly the Cheyenne or to a jet. You did get my answer to your question about flightplanner/nav/map software, Right? If not, I have used FSNavigator for all this except to add the route to the Geographical map, and I do that in Photoshop.Happy Trails,-------------Michael

I'd say we are entering the home stretch, but you never know do ya? As promised, more maps and info. You might be excited to know that by the time this little party is over, I will have a nice little package for anybody that wants it. What will it have you ask? Well, I have taken the time to Download every Screenshot and Pirep for our journey and put them all together. I think I will make it a .pdf file, its about 60 pages long so far. Do you wanna know flew the longest, or What the average speed was? How many hours did it take us? How about the flight plan for FS2002 and FSNavigator. It's all coming. But wait, there's more!! It will also include the text-o-matic repaint that I have made exclusively for this challenge for the Cessna 421C, see my most recent screenshot. If you have something you would like to include or suggest in this 'commerative package' let me know. Also, Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has given me pointers with Photoshop and the maps both here and through email to help the maps evolve into...something, anyways. I am slowly getting the hang of this, by the time we are done, should have down to an art!!-------------MichaelAVSIM RTW CHALLENGE 01 RTW Legs 1-- EGLL----LFRB-- Grumman HU-162-- LFRB---- LFDN-- Piper Archer II3-- LFDN---- DAAG-- Beech 1900D4-- DAAG---- HLLT-- Convair 5805-- HLLT---- DAAJ-- Piper Cheyenne 4006-- DAAJ---- DATM-- Beech King Air 3507-- DATM---- GCXO-- Cessna 421C8-- GCXO---- GQQN-- Beech 1900D9-- GQQN---- GQNI-- Saab 34010- GQNI---- GATS-- Cessna 421C11- GATS---- DRZR-- Piltus PC-1212- DRZR---- DNMA-- Cessna 20813- DNMA---- FTTC-- Rockwell OV-10 Bronco14- FTTC---- HSSS-- Saab 34015- HSSS---- OERK-- Piaggo P18016- OERK---- OMAA-- Beech 1900D17- OMAA---- OIMB-- Piper Cheyenne 40018- OIMB---- OAMS-- Cessna 421C19- OAMS---- OAKB-- Pilatus PC-1220- OAKB---- UAAH-- Piaggo P18021- UAAH---- UAAA-- Beech Baron 5822- UAAA---- UAAH-- Douglas DC-323- UAAH---- UAAA-- Beech Baron 5824- UAAA---- ZMBS-- Piper Cheyenne 40025- ZMBS---- ZMBN-- Cessna 421C26- ZMBN---- ZYHB-- Connie27- ZYHB---- UHSS-- P-51 Mustang Reno Air Races28- UHSS---- UHPP-- Piper Cheyenne 40029- UHPP---- PATU-- Piper Cheyenne 40030- PATU---- PACD-- Piaggo P18031- PACD---- PADQ-- Piper Cheyenne 40032- PADQ---- PAYA-- Beech 1900D33- PAYA---- PAWG-- Rockwell Commander 11534- PAWG---- CYZT-- Beech Baron 5835- CYZT---- KACV-- 36- KACV---- KSAN-- 37- KSAN---- KLSV-- Rockwell OV-10 Bronco38- KLSV---- MMCN-- Beech 1900D39- MMCN---- KDMN-- Beech Baron 5840- KDMN---- KDFW-- 41- KDFW---- KMGM-- Beech 1900D42- KMGM---- KDCA-- Cesnna 421C "RTW Special"43- KDCA---- FLAG EN ROUTETotals: Distance Flown: 21773.7 nmDistance to Heathrow: 6079 nm

Departed KDCA: 0920 EasternArrived KPWM: 1110 EasternAircraft: B1900D United ExpressDistance: 420 milesWeather en route uneventful, mostly clear skys with some haze resulting in 8 miles visibility on arrival. Wind 230/20 most of the route, cruise at FL270Was hoping to make Bangor, but real-world requiremetns had me put down a little earlier than I had hoped.Here we are over the fence for rwy 29.

I have the BATON and am on the way.Aeromachines

Oh well, I suppose we didn't need to make an appearance in Oshkosh today, just flew straight through.....--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.TheVirtualAirline.comwww.laartcc.org

Aeromachines, in a Beech 1900D has landed at CYYR at 1421 EDTBaton is up for grabs.Screen shot follows soon.Can someone tell me how to take an Irfan View Image (jpg) and make it large enough to SEE, but SMALL enough to upload?Thanks

If only I didn't have to be at work right now... (no flight sim and no joystick :-( )Oh well, maybe I can squuueeeezze in to the pilots seat sometime this evening before we complete our "pond" jumping.Cheers...Hawkeyez :-kewl