Sign in to follow this  

What to upgrade to get best from FS2K2?

Guest allblack

Afternoon all.I have a rather sad PC in terms of performance:600mhz128 RAMVideo cards etc ( not sure ).What I'm asking of you experienced PC users is advice on what to upgrade to improve FS performance on a limited budget.If I was to spend about NZ$500 (approx.US$250.00) what should I be looking at?Increasing RAM to 256?Faster CPU?Newer video/sound card?The main problem I want to get around is the very dodgy looking scenery, and being able to fly at night in clouds, with rain, and not have the PC 'stuttering'. Oh, and to be able to get down the glideslope inside 60 minutes would be a bonus too!My guess is the RAM, but given the limited budget, I would appreciate opinions from people who don't stand to profit from this purchase.Many thanksAllblack

Guest Eagle92395

Well, without knowing what graphics card you have...it's a "bit" tougher.. but it's still an easy decision. Your CPU is "ok", not great but I ran a 750Mhz Duron with a Geforce2 Mx420 (about $70 now) and 256 Mb of RAM and it ran at 1024x780x32 just fine with most of the sliders on HIGH. I sold it about 2 weeks ago...SO... my recommendation is to go out and get a nice shiny new Geforce 4 or Geforce 3 card (or a used Geforce 2 card from eBay...and I have one sitting around from my puter I just sold if you're interested) and DO NOT go below 64Mb of RAM on the card. It should cost you less than $100 USAND THENUse the extra cash and get another 128Mb of RAM ($50). At $160, you'll double your performance...really. Then you'll have $110 left to blow on other stuff like a new joystick, rudder pedals..!!! Whatever your heart desires.Here are some links for examples...http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=111011...at=521&scat=522http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=110091...at=529&scat=530Good luck...and post what you decide for me!!

AllblackCheck out this site: http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm I installed one of these in an old Dell XPS T500 (500mhz) and was astounded at the performance increase in FS2002, way beyond what I expected. This will also leave you with enough money for a passable graphics card. Be sure to check the compatability list at the site. I think this would give you the best performance for the $$$ you want to spend.David

Well if you have to buy it in bits and pieces. I just put together my AMD XP2100, Corsair DDT PC2700, with a WinFast GForce 4 ti4400, with all the sliders to the right, Mesh at 80%, ATC at 33%...I run 1600 X 1200 no AA 50plus FPS with AA on 30FPS, thats in all environments and Chris clouds.CPU are dirt cheap the Intel P4's 2.0 and 2.2 are dirt cheap and lots of horsepower.RegardsTony Ascaso, RN