Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

VFR Sectional Charts

Does anyone know where to get paper copies of obsolete VFR charts? The new ones are expensive, and the disk versions I don't like. I gotta hold the chart in my hands, you know. It just feels more real. Anyway, if anyone knows where I can find them, I'd be oh so grateful for the info.Persephone

You can try asking pilots at a local airport if they have any old sectionals they've no longer got a use for. "Back when" I used to give mine away when they were out of date. Now I wish I could have kept a few of them.

I have managed to get about 35 VFR sectionals and another 10-12 VFR terminal area charts. I have several duplicates and even have numerous complete sets of IFR enroute charts. I got them all as they were destined for the trash can. Call FBO's and ask if you can come get them when they are outdated. Check FBO's in other locations as well, most only have charts for their local areas. It has taken me a while but I am now not far from having a complete set of VFR stuff for the US and Caribbean. I may have to break down and buy the last missing ones to complete my set. I used to mail out sets for free to other simmers if they would pay the postage but I had some trouble getting repaid on a few occasions so I stopped. Ken

Guest Smiley

The FBO's do not allow out of date charts to be placed anywhere but in the trash. They won't even sell old ones going out of date. Your best hope is to know a RL VFR pilot. Introduce yourself at a local FBO and ask for one :-)

Smiley wrote:>The FBO's do not allow out of date charts to be placed >anywhere but in the trash. They won't even sell old ones >going out of date.Not true. After explaining that I wanted obsolete charts for flight-sim purposes, I've gotten obsolete VFR sectionals, Terminal Area Charts, and IFR low-altitude charts from FBOs in the Austin, TX area. Price ranged from free to US$1/chart.Online you can try this site. They have a wide range of old charts for "free", which actually means a very reasonable US$0.80 to US$1.00 per chart for shipping & handling, depending on quantity ordered.

Um, you'll have to excuse me. I have no real world experience. What is an FBO?Persephone

Guest Smiley

:-) Maybe I need to ask at a different FBO (Fixed Base Operator, local rental and training facility).At the time I asked the question I'm sure they were only thinking about RL flight planning and did not want to give out or sell, out of date Sectionals.

Guest lawyerpilot

Flight schools and FBO's will give out the old ones after they clip the top strip that shows the effective date for free. Tell them you want to use them for IFR practice planning, etc. Companies are allowed to return the "top date strips" from the charts that they don't sell from each 56 day cycle, for a full credit toward their next cycles order. They could care less what happens to them after the strip is cut off.ChristopherP4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate Pilot-130 hours - IFR ride in two weeksAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest lawyerpilot

That goes for VFR charts as well.>Christopher >>>P4 1.8 >768 ram >80 gig hardrive >Visiontek Ti4 4600 >CH yoke/pedals >19" inch monitor- >Soundblaster PCI 512 >Win XP >>Private Pilot-130 hours - IFR ride in two weeks >AOPA >LawyerPilots Bar Association >>>"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and >thus will ever be." P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."