Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Bowcut

Precision taxiiing the 747: my technique

Guest Peter Bowcut

I know that it's been brought up before that there is a flaw in the FS2004 physics engine that attaches too much friction to aircraft taxiing on the ground, thus requiring higher power settings in the sim during taxi than real-world counterpart aircraft. This bug is especially noticable in large jet aircraft like the PMDG 747, where taxiing with precision can be a real challenge at times. R. Randazzo's 1st expanded tutorial describes using differential thrust when making tight turns in the sim and although this technique will work, I've found an easier and more precise way (at least for me). What I do is apply up to 40 percent N1 as breakaway thrust, then bring the power to around 35-38 percent N1 to maintain normal taxi speed, depending on weight. As I approach a 90 degree turn on a taxiway, I simply brake the aircraft to decelerate to 7-9 kts of groundspeed and then initiate the turn whilst leaving the power setting 'pushed up' to taxi thrust setting (around an average of 35 percent N1). This faciliates very smooth, fluid turns at a constant groundspeed of around 8-9 kts without having to manipulate thrust constantly. Note that brake application is only made until the aircraft slows to around 8 kts or so, then the turn is initiated without brake pressure and at the same thrust setting as required for normal taxi. You can slightly adjust thrust in the turn if needed, but the need for significant thrust changes are eliminated, as is the 'rollercoaster' effect of trying to overcome the FS2004 ground friction bug with too large or small of a thrust setting. Works like a charm for me.