Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Computer Question

Dear fellow sim fans,I'm debating upgrading my computer from a P4 1.5, 64MB Videocard and 512MB of RAM to a P4 2.53, 128MB Videocard and 512MB of RAM. My question is: will I see a noticable improvement in the performance of FS2002? Currently, it runs well except when I approach airports with lots of AI traffic and detailed buildings (SFO, MIA, ORD, LHR, etc...). Since I really don't need a new computer, I'm wondering if the perfomance leap is really worth it.Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Regards,AC001PS Does anyone know what is going on with Project AI and if they will be back up soon? I really love their AI traffic as they really improved my FPS rates. Again, any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Man!! I wish everyone had your predicament!! I'm sure you'll see a noticable improvement in high traffic areas..but not much else. I'm jumping from a 750Mhz Duron with 193 Meg RAM to a 2.6Ghz P4!!! Now THAT is a jump :)

Welp, thats about a 60% increase in clock cycles alone. Add in faster RAM. 64 to 128 of video ram doesn't do much, I'm told, but getting a faster GPU should also. MAthmatically you should see better framerates. I'm running a 700mhz Athalon with 192MB of RAM and a GF3 Ti200 video. I have no hope of upgrading soon, but when I do I imagine the flavor of the day will be 3Ghz. That should be nice.

>Dear fellow sim fans, >>I'm debating upgrading my computer from a P4 1.5, 64MB >Videocard and 512MB of RAM to a P4 2.53, 128MB Videocard and >512MB of RAM. My question is: will I see a noticable >improvement in the performance of FS2002? Currently, it >runs well except when I approach airports with lots of AI >traffic and detailed buildings (SFO, MIA, ORD, LHR, etc...). > Since I really don't need a new computer, I'm wondering if >the perfomance leap is really worth it. you will get more of a jump than you might think as the old P4-1.5s were frankly Hogs, very slow as a good PIII 1-1.26 could perform as well or better.The best thing you can do is to start searching for and reading the reviews of P-4 533FSB motherboard and memory combinations as that will be the soul of you system, not the brand, not the amount of memory and not the video card, which BTW should be at min a GF4TI4200 considering the $150 or so price.Take care,