Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on My FS2002 Settings, PC Settings, and Frame

Hi fellow simmers,I need your opinion and possibly advices on my current Fs2002 settings and achieved frame rates at a 3rd party scenery like Simflyers KLAX. Please let me know if you think my frame rate is realistic given the settings and my current PC configuration:Frame rates range anywhere between 10 and 16 at Simflyers KLAX and KATL from PIC 767 (and 2 frame rates less with DF737).FS2002 wat 1280x1024 at 16 bit; FSAA off; shadows and reflections off; mipmap on; multitexture on; aircraft texture at high; water effect at reflection; clouds setting at midway; visibility at 60 miles; Autogen at normal; AI off; everthing else set at near max. I notice the most significant cause of frame rare degradation for me is AI. It seems like tweaking anything else may squeeze only 1 frame rate here and there, although I have not tried turning on FSAA yet.PC config: AMD Thunderbird 1.33ghz, 512mb DDR RAM, ASUS GeForce2 GTS 64mb, IBM IEDE hard drive, latest VIA 4 in 1 driver from ASUS web site, latest NVIDIA Detonator driver, Windows 2000Pro, Turtle Beach Quadzilla.GTU: Lod at -0.5, FastWrite and Sideband on, Anisotropic at 32 (max setting), strict trilinear off, AGP at auto, W-Buffer and Z-Buffer all on, FSAA off, V-Sync off (Buffer set at 3). I am novice at this Tweak Utility and not even sure if this will make any difference to FS2002 performance. Settings obtained from the previous posts of other simmers in this forum.Please let me know if I can change any setting to improve FS performance and not degrading graphic quality too much. It has been almost 9 months since I start using FS again. I am now trying to get off the ground once more this time with the new FS2002 :) Thanks very much for all your help.Sincerely,Henry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think most of your performance improvements would come in your 2k2 display settings, while the nvidia tweaks are usually better at improving visual quality.If you experience any stability problems, try turning fastwrites off. Also turn off FS2002's hardware texturing. I run at 800x600, 32-bit on a P3-800. With AI off and Autogen normal, I tend to get around 12-15 at LAX (in A/C with simple panels). With autogen off at LAX, my fps jumps to around 15-20, then climbs to 30-40 once in the air (although I prefer to keep my fps locked @ 25).I do max my visibility... Have noticed no fps impact with it maxed... I also have clouds maxed--can run with two layers with no problems at all (I usually have stratus low and cirrus in the flight levels). I downloaded the DX control panel a while back and turned off sound debugging with it--that tweak gained me several fps... I fly with water reflections and detail off--they are great over the ocean, but rarely come into play in the flight levels over land. And I leave shadows off, although I don't believe they impact fps that much from what I've seen.I find the anisotropic setting works best with trilinear filtering on, and anti-aliasing on in 2k2. Check out my shots in the screenshots forum showing the C150H.... Those external views were showing around 22-23 fps...That's about it... Hope this helps you, and let me know what you think of my C150 shots!-John

Hi John,Thank you for the reply. I will play around some more with the settings. By the way, where did you download the Dx Control Panel from as I am interested in trying it out? Thanks again.HenryP.S.: I have a hard time trying to find your C150. May be if you can provide me with the link.

Thanks John for the links. By the way, good screenshots. But I do admit it does make a difference when FSAA is turned off.Henry

Henry:You might try, as a first step, turning water down to detail. Water reflections kill my fps (P4 1.8 and G3ti-200). I gain at least 5 fps around LAX without the water reflections.I love the way they look, but on my system they are the biggest single adjustment to improving FPS. Oddly, it doesn't even matter if water is within my field of view.