Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 Built-In Map -- any way to plot a radial?

Hi there gang,just wonderin' -- dont know it this has been posted before, but many times when I decided to just fly, without much planning or using the preflight flight planner, and If I wanted to do some quick in-flight-planning while paused (FS2002 is sooo convenient :-)) I was forced not to put a navigation plotter on the screen to plot, lets say, an outbound VOR radial to the next intersection. :-) You know, the stuff when you dont need to know the course to a VOR station but need to be on a certain radial of a VOR station to reach an airway/the right route/whatever.So is there a built-in way to do this? A nifty "navgation aids" menu hidden somewhere? Did I miss something? Most of the time i am just guessing the angle...How do you guys do it? Always pre-planning stuff? Would be interesting to hear...Thanks for listening,celticmatrix

Hi there gang,just wonderin' -- dont know it this has been posted before, but many times when I decided to just fly, without much planning or using the preflight flight planner, and If I wanted to do some quick in-flight-planning while paused (FS2002 is sooo convenient) I forced myself not to put a navigation plotter on the screen to plot, lets say, an outbound VOR radial to the next intersection. :-)You know, the stuff when you dont need to know the course to a VOR station but need to be on a certain radial of a VOR station to reach an airway/the right route/whatever.So is there a built-in way to do this? A nifty "navgation aids" menu hidden somewhere? Did I miss something? Most of the time i am just guessing the angle...How do you guys do it? Always pre-planning stuff? Would be interesting to hear...Thanks for listening,celticmatrix

oups--- just pressed the wrong link, talking to myself :-) lolsorry...(anyway, hoping to reach someone in the know... thx in advancecelticmatrix

I havn't seen any way to do this in FS without using the planner. Airway charts have the course printed on the airway or on the intersection. You would have to use real world charts. You can download some DPs/STARs which show some intersectins and courses from www.clearanceunlimited.com/ If you are really serious about this you would have to buy enroute IFR charts. I always use the FS planner but add in the DP and STAR manually. Have a good one,DAVID C. FREEMANCONTINENTAL VIRTUAL AIRLINESHouston

David,thanks for the info. courses are quite important for obvious reasons and some hints in FS would make quite a difference... thanks for the link, those sids/stars look very good! (and chaeper than the jeppesen stuff :-)) Most of my flights take place in europe however, so if I've got the money maybe I'll buy some aircharts...ru,celticmatrix

celticmatrixI think Nav3 or FSNavigator should do the trick for you, and they both have world wide coverage. Both also have flight planners and many other features. Download them and see what you think.David

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Celticmatrix,I think that for direct to vor (or whatever waypoint) navigation, there is no match to the reality xp flight line avionics. Simply made for what you want to do! www.reality-xp.comHope it helps!

Thanks guys,gonna check those add-ons out. Nav 3 appears to be freeware and stand-alone, but the advantage of the other add-ins (FSNavigator, RealityXP)lies in them being fully integrated into FS2002.Do you own the latter and did you regret getting them? Do you use them regularly? read you,celticmatrix

CelticmaxI have all three and use them all regularly. I run Nav3 on a second computer using WideFS and the other two on a second monitor connected to my primary computer. FSNavigator does cost $$ but you can use it free for thirty sessions before you have to pay. There is also an older freeware version still available if you look around a bit.David

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Celticmatrix,I own the later and I enjoy every bit of it! As for using them regularly: YES! what is neat is that you can add the Flight Line Avioinics to ANY aircraft with the EZConfig tool. So it is a real good buy because you use it everytime, anywhere with any aircraft! They also sell it with a discount for Oshkosh up until the end of July for $24.95!!There is the avsim review here (rated 4 stars). Although they have written so, I've not experienced any crash or problem:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0702/realityxp/realityxp.htmYou can also read some of the latest comments on the forum here:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/7735.htmlAnd few other here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8and here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8Hope it helps!

Just looking for clarification...Jean Luc, you indicated you own the latter (the RealityXP set).Aren't you actually the fellow who created the RealityXP avionics? If I'm mistaken, please do correct me. I see a LOT of posts wherein you answer people's questions by recommending RealityXP to them ... which is fine I guess, but I never see you clearly identify yourself as the author -- which I thought you were. If you are the author, then your post above is somewhat misleading because it absolutely reads like that of a customer and not the developer (referring to the developer as "they").--Tony, a very happy user of both FSNav and RealityXP

>If you are the author, then >your post above is somewhat misleading because it absolutely >reads like that of a customer and not the developer >(referring to the developer as "they"). >>--Tony, a very happy user of both FSNav and RealityXPDon't know whether he's the author or not, but he is not being misleading about RealityXP, which is one of the best add-ons for FS2002.David

I didn't say he was being misleading about RealityXP.Please note I included the fact that I'm a happy customer of the RealityXP stack.I said that if he IS the developer, then he was misleading for writing as if he were as a user.--Tony