Sign in to follow this  
Guest gmangnall

Emergency Engine Start

Guest gmangnall

Whilst flying I have tried to do an emergency engine start after killing all four engines. I am able to start all four engines simultaneously, however if I just start engine 4 for example, the other three engines drop to 0rpm and after that it seems impossible to get them started again. Anyone seen this problem and know how to get them started again?

Interesting... just tried it and the engine indications were ok (windmilling normally). What version of the 744 are you using?What airspeed/altitude were you flying at when you tried for a relight? Cheers.Q>

Guest gmangnall

I have performed this at various speed and altitudes, typically FL200 and c280kts. The engines do windmill until I start one of them at which point the others slowly drop to zero (I can start the all at once if I want)Here's how to replicate my problem.FL200280ktsTurn fuel off to all 4 engines.Wait till engines are windmilling. c13-16% depending on speed.Restart.Get N1 to c14%Turn on fuel to engine4.Press Ignition Con switch.Engine 4 startsEngines 1,2,3 stop.It now seems impossible to start them.If however I turn fuel on to all 4 engines they start normally.If I restart 3 engines, then I am able to use the engine starter switch, as per a manual ground start.I must be doing something wrong - or is there a bug?

"The engines do windmill until I start one of them at which point the others slowly drop to zero (I can start the all at once if I want)"So you're saying that if you turn them on all at once they start, but if you only turn one on, the speeds drop to zero on the other 3 ...and you then can't start the other 3.I'm not sure why the others are dropping to zero if the aircraft is still maintaining airspeed for start. I don't recall seeing this when I tried it. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of your rpms (N1/EGT and N2), fuel cutoff levers and airspeed/altitude when the 3 unstarted engines refuse to start? (are you getting the recommended airspeeds/altitudes displayed on your EICAS?). Startup can be slow... allow sufficient time for lightup.Did you try shutting down your packs and WAI/NAI?Did you try firing up the inboard engines first? I don't know if this is standard procedure, but it would give you less yaw.Cheers.Q>