Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade question

Hi folks,I am thinking of upgrading my graphic card to a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 w/ 128MB. My current specs are as follows:P3 800mhz640MB RAMGeForce 2 MX440 64MB at AGP 2x (My motherboard doesn't do more)SoundBlaster Awe64 Value40GB Harddrive at 7200rpmWhat I want to know is if you think this will improve my framerates in FS and by how much.Using PSS Airbus I can get around 12-18 fps in cruise and around 10 or less while landing. And my scenery setting aren't the best (autogen and AI turned off, no water effects, medium quality textures)Thank you so muchLu

I think that upgrading your CPU/MOBO might be a better option, even if you have to wait and save a little bit. I doubt your framerates will improve that much, maybe a couple of fps. FS2002 is a very dependent on the processor. Also, since your MOBO only supports 2x, you probably wouldn't even be able to utilize the GF4 to its fullest. Just my 2 cents.-------------Michael

Hy!I agree with lhaso. A new board and a new processor will boost your framerates, just the GF4 will not. (Well, a new board, a new processor AND a GF4 is optimum... :-)).Just my 2 cent.Greetings,Danny

I agree, having upgraded my overclocked T-Bird 1.2 (running @ 1.4) with a Ti 4400 and found minimal frame rate increase. The eye candy was better as I could run at higher resolutions with Quin AA and 16-tap anisotropic filtering, but alas, only slight frame rate improvement. Finally, upgraded to an XP processor on a KT266A chipset that permitted me to use my existing Corsair PC-150 SDRAM and got the frame rate improvement I was looking for. My mb supports both SDRAM and DDR (my next upgrade) and the Ti 4400 now performs as it should. Go with a MB/CPU upgrade first, mine was $62 MB and $97 CPU with free shipping on a special from newegg a few months ago. I overclock both the CPU and Video with no problems. Being on a budget I just can't afford the hottest MB/CPU combos so overclocking works for me.FL_FlyerJetway V266B (Via KT266A chipset) Via 4.40 drivers overclocked to 142 FSB-AMD Athon XP 1900+ (1600 mhz overclocked to 1700 mhz)-Volcano 6 cooler (42c idle, 47c @ load)-512 mb Corsair PC-150 SDRAM @ 142 5-2-2-2 w/ 4 bank interleive -Allied 350 watt PS-Abit Siluro GF 4 Ti 4400 with Nvidia 29.42 drivers overclocked to 300/600 1280x960x32 with 19" monitor @ 85hz, Quincunx AA, 16-tap Anasitropic filtering (mipmapping) using NVmax AGP 4x, Fast Writes, 1 WS read and write -CL Soundblaster Live X-Gamer-Maxtor 40gb 7200 rpm HD ATA 133, Toshiba DVD and Zip 100-Windows XP tweaked to minimum servicesFS2002, Dream Fleet 737-400, Simflyers Scenery for all airports flown, Radar Contact for ATC, FSAssist for pushback, ADVDisplay, FLTCrew Wavs, FSUIPC, APLC32, run with scattered clouds, high cirrus, winds, turbulance, etc. All sliders MAXED, all options on, max visibility, FPS locked at 20, getting 12 on ground with gates, service vehicles, etc, 17 on taxi, 20 on takeoff roll and in flight, all smooth and pretty with incredible detail.