Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshieca

Checking ATIS before/during your flight?

Guest Flyingdutchman

Hi Joshua,Answer 1: Yes, go to flightplanner and then to the screen where you can see you flightplan with all the navaids.Click on the lowest navaid, that will be you destination airport. Then look for the ATIS frequency.Answer 2: Yes be sure you put the frequency in the right Com1, the left is used for you IFR flight so don't touch that, or you'll can have a cancelled flightplan.When you're close enough to the destination airport, just switch the frequency and you'll hear the ATIS "voice" at the moment you hear the voice, switch back to the original COM frequency, you'll be then able to hear your controller if he wants to say something to you, and in the top of you cockpit you'll see the ATIS information from right to leftI hope this helps!Regards :-wave ,Evert

Guest KenG

If you are too far away from your destination (and using MSFS default weather downloader), the ATIS will report the weather at your current position. You must be close enough to the destination for it to report the correct info. At least, that was my experience. With FSMeteo, I just tell it to get destination weather as well as my local weather and as soon as I'm in range of the ATIS freq, I will get correct weather and the RW being used.If your plane has 2 COM radios, just enter the correct ATIS freq in COM2 and then hit the BOTH switch on the audio panel. When you are done listening to the ATIS, just hit BOTH again to inactivate COM2. This way, you can still monitor and transmit on COM1 while getting ATIS info on COM2.You can get the correct ATIS frequency for you destination airport by looking in the MAP or if you use FSNavigator you can get it from hovering the mouse over the airport destination. Most ATIS's will have a range of ~50 nm in FS.

Guest Joshieca

Thanks both of you....That helps out a lot...since I use the auto tune feature of FS2k2 I didn't give much thought about putting in the ATIS manually and then switching the COM channels....:-)