Sign in to follow this  

ATC Speed Adjustments

Guest DSN

Under Traffic Messages from ATC in the ATC Handbook is the following (Page 38):Speed adjustmentsTo accommodate traffic Controllers may also ask you to adjust your speed to accommodate aircraft ahead or behind you that are sloweror faster than your aircraft.I have never heard any reference to airspeed from ATC in FS2002. Has anyone else? Why would that be published in the manual if it is not part of the sim?-DSN

Guest lmoelleb

Nope - never heard it.Often the manual is ready some time before the software is completely final. MS might have had the feature in ATC, but it wasn't working probably so it was pulled out just before release.

they SURE will. Haven't you noticed that FS has a nice evolution curve ? Every time they build something futuristic in one version, it's cleaned out and improved in the next version.So I expect ATC to give you speed restrictions next time around. Also I hope for (but this is more futuristic) that we will be able to program (ourselves) some SIDS and STARS for our personal favourite airports. I don't need SID and STAR information to be into the program for every airport because for example, i've never ever been flying to Africa before, so why bother. They should just pre-program some for the USA airports and leave the option open for us to program our own favo or local airports chart-based-procedures.Then the next thing that I hope for (could probably even be done already by freeware builders for fs2002) is replace the UGLY pink line for progressive taxy by a little "follow-me" car. No issue for FS to have some 3D object follow the taxiways ... (check what AI is doing ...)Also lets hope that it'll be possible next time around to change your FL during your flight. Because if now, you plan your flight, but end up being at cruise-level and flying trough a major thunderstorm ... well, that's just too bad for you. You see what I mean ?Anyway, no need to predict. Future will tell. I only hope some of the FS guys have picked up my ID on the "follow me" car cuz this is (for them) absolutely NOT a difficult request.Just like the "TV-screen" that you have in GrandPrix4 now ... It was my idea to have "track-sideTV-views" from the cockpit while standing in the pits.

Guest gasebah

>They should just pre-program some for the USA airports and leave the >option open for us to program our own favo or local airports chart->based-procedures.That is typical. I would suggest they only do it for Europe and leave it out for the U.S., as the U.S. is overrepresented in FS2002 anyway, while in Europe at most of the airfields you can find nothing except a goat.Alex

Alex,Well said. And it should also be programmed only with non-American voices that misspronounce all the American names ;-)Keith>>They should just pre-program some for the USA airports and leave the >option open for us to program our own favo or local airports chart->based-procedures.>>That is typical. I would suggest they only do it for Europe >and leave it out for the U.S., as the U.S. is >overrepresented in FS2002 anyway, while in Europe at most of >the airfields you can find nothing except a goat. >>Alex

The only thing ive ever ATC say is Hold Position to let an aircraft turn on to the taxiway ahead of you.On the topic with them damn pink lines.The airports should have taxisigns for starters and if you need progressive taxi they should light up a path with the lights on the runway like they do in real life

Haven't you noticed then ? Haven't you realy not noticed ???Listen, the FS guys do a good job creating the overall program. Then they do a fine job recreating the US and take very little care of Europe and other continents.But then a few months later, the freeware producers come in ... They don't care much for US since that already does look fine. So they work more on Europ and what do we get ? Airports like EBBR, EDDW etc. Anyway, you can't expect FS to put in awesome new features in a new version and take care of ALL worlds airports in fhoto-real-detail. You just can't ask too much from them or it'll take them 5 years to produce a new version. OR it wont take them so long, but then they'll have to put more people on the job and price of the sim might go up (or is this a foolish thought ? I suddelnly can't imagine that a program that is being sold in such large numbers would have a price set in order to pay the makers ...)Anyway, see it this way:FS 2000 as it came out of the box seemd 100% good but was only 30%FS 2000 as it became on my pc with freeware addons was 60%FS 2002 as it came ouf ot the box seemd 100% good (on us scenery) but was only 40%FS 2002 as it became on some others pc (cuz , sadly, my specs are too low, but thats personal) is a near 95%All I wanna say is ... don't underestimate the power, the quality and the strength of Freeware Add-On makers.

Guest gasebah

I am not sure what you are getting at. I really like FS2002. It is the best flightsim program around.But:You cannot create a good overall Europe scenery with freeware. I had to spend hundreds of dollars for payware to make Europe worthwhile. I am not complaining, but that is the way it is. What I do not like is when users and producers neglect Europe. That is it.Alex

Guest GabrielR

Talking about what MS talked about it's release, I found in a couple of magazines, a full page advertisement with a caravan and the text that said something about an extended downwind for landing, that was not implemented also...What I can say is that for the next versions the greater advances will be in the area of ATC, most of them were already accomplished by the end of the 2001, and sure, there will be altitude change request, multy runway ops, holding patterns, SID and Stars, I recall reading about an interview with the developers of MS taking about that in a general aviation magazine last year (going to see if I still have it).I guess that the AI, coul be diverted by the tower, they could approach at different speeds etc... who knows?

When the voice SDK was released someone discovered the WAV files for speed adjustments. They do exist. Probably a feature that was not ready when the codebase was frozen but was under development.Had marketting set a somewhat wider deadline, it might have been included (but then, we would be talking about something else that would have made it if only the release had been 2 weeks later, such is software development).