Sign in to follow this  

LAT/LONG Waypoints How to enter into FMC?

For some reason I'm unable to enter Latitude and Longitude points into the FMC I keep getting (invalid entry) I tried entering per 767 Pilot in command manual,but no workum. I think maybe I'm typing it in wrong or something although I have tried several combo's. This is the postion I'm working with (Nuevo Five Dep. KOAK) N37.15.46 W122.35.29. -this is my entry N3715.46W12235.29 click the appropriate left LSK ,and then I get invalid entry so what's wrong?Dave.

Guest Ian_Riddell

There are too many values after the decimal points, Dave (There should only be one). e.g. N2914.6E12135.1Also, "N37.15.46" looks like it's in degrees/minutes/seconds format. You will have to convert this to degrees/minutes&decimal minutes for entry into the FMC. In this case, N37degrees, 15minutes and 46 seconds would become approximately N3715.8 (actually 15.7666666666... minutes)Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.P.S. To change seconds to minutes, divide by 60 of course. For "W122.35.29", divide the 29 by 60 to get 0.4833333.... which is approximately 0.5 minutes. i.e. W12235.5

Thanks Ian,I thought those numbers looked funny I should have known this "oh" well. :-roll . Kind of strange how the manual does'nt mention this small adjustment to decimal form . Dave

Guest Ian_Riddell

"Kind of strange how the manual does'nt mention this small adjustment to decimal form ."I think you'll find, Dave, that most charts carried aboard aircraft these days have the lat/longs in the format required for FMC entry. No conversion is necessary. All my Jepessen charts (area maps, approach plates, etc), for example, are in the single decimal minute format (no seconds).BTW, what sort of charts are you using at the moment?Cheers.Ian.

Hi Ian,I'm using U.S. Terminal Procedures 21 FEB 2002,and IFR enroute low altitude chart which is kind of old 11 SEP.1997 I need to up date this one. Dave