Sign in to follow this  

"RW Flight Instruction"

HiDue to some fortuitous transactions in the market I am now able to realize a life long dream which is to be able to pursue a realworld PPL and beyond.The question I would like to ask is if anybody has information on the best training facilities in the PHL/South Jersey areas.I would like to do this but would like to stear clear of the run of the mill and learn from the best in this area of the U.S.My ultimate aim is to earn a CFI ticket and to do this on a full time basis.Any comments,questions,or information would be greatfully accepted.ThanksRon Reesronrees3@comcast.net

Ron --I can't speak specifically to the Philly/S Jersey area, but I can offer a few ideas on choosing a school.First, the "best" school may or may not be what works for you. I'd suggest making a few visits to schools and taking a trial lesson from each so you get a feel for the different schools and their instructors. It's an important decision -- what you learn and how well you learn it is something that you and your passengers will rely upon for your lives. Unfortunately, it's a process that you have to feel your way through. The more people and schools you talk to, the better off you're likely to be. In the end, it is an immensely personal decision that only you can answer. If you're headed eventually for a PPL, Instrument, Commercial, CFI ticket, a school that can take you the whole way there would be a plus, but what you learn for the PPL is the foundation upon which everything else is built and a school that excels at the Commercial and CFI ratings might not be the best place for you to learn what you need for the PPL. Most of all, make sure that what you're doing is enjoyable and fun and that your instructor is good teacher as opposed to someone who lacks teaching aptitude and is building time for another job. I'd take a great CFI and a beaten up old airplane over a shiny new plane and a mediocre CFI any day...There are other options outside the PHL area -- if you have the time you could do the FlightSafety or similar route down in Florida. One plus to this route is that it's immersion in flying as opposed to trying to fit it into your daily routine. The more often you fly, the more you tend to retain, but that applies if you learn in Philly or Florida. Two or three times a week is a good figure. Bear in mind that most people take 80 hours or so for the PPL before they're ready for the checkride.Have fun -- sims are great (and a useful learning tool) but the real thing is much more fun as far as I'm concerned. Lastly, go beyond the minimums -- I recommend some spin training (lots of fun!!) and some actual IFR training during the PPL (helps if you really get stuck in IMC as there's a difference between flying with Foggles and real IMC). If most of your flying is at controlled fields, make sure you've spent some time at uncontrolled ones, or vice versa.And, buy a good ANR headset -- it will help save your hearing and make flying a lot more pleasant for you.Hope this helps somewhat.Matt

MattThanks for the great advice.I will look around a bit before choosing.Thanks againRon