Sign in to follow this  

PIC Underpowered? (Break-away Thrust)

Has anyone else noticed that the PIC engines seem to be underpowered for break-away thrust (the thrust it takes to get the airplane rolling from a dead stop)? When I start my taxi after the push, N1 reaches about 60% before the wheels start turning. This is a bit unrealistic and often triggers the take-off configuration warning because i don't have flaps set when i start my taxi...but that's beside the point. I don't know what typical break-away thrust is on a 767, but I have jumpseated on a real DC-10 (granted, it's not the same, but it is a heck of a lot heavy and another engine to compensate for that extra weight, at almost 500k lbs, break-away thrust was at idle (about 35% N1)!! I've also jumpseated on a real 757 and break-away thrust was no more than 40% N1. I would edit the files to give my engine a few more pounds of thrust, but i think the take-off performance of the engines are pretty realistic. Anyone else notice this?Justin E.

Guest ilh

This is becoming a FAQ. Search this forum for past answers.Basically, the ground is too sticky in FS2002, and the PIC designers strived for correctness in the air rather than correctness on the ground.Yes, it takes me about 60% to break away and then about 40% to maintain taxi speed. However, I don't get config warnings. I think that happens more about 70%+.Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

I personally think the break-away is about right but the pick up in speed thereafter is a bit unrealistic.As for real life, a 777 will typically break-away without opening the throttles (unless extremely heavy)!Meekal