Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Flight1 Cessna 421...playing around...

I found I was having the worst time landing this aircraft...I'd pull into a flare, and stall almost immediately. Landing in FS is something that I've never had a problem with, so I was thinking....what gives?After some touch 'n goes, I went to replay the landings, and I found my flare was so steep that the tail was striking the ground... Did some poking around the panel .cfg, and found out what my problem was...By default, both the main panel and the landing panel have the view canted "down", so when you think you're looking in the direction the aircraft is pointing, the view is actually skewed... You may think the aircraft is only slightly flared, when it's practically sitting on it's tail...This is one issue with "raising the cockpit" to see over a panel. What is really happening is one is shifting the horizon in relation to its normal location. This can really cause confusion in flight, especially in takeoff and landing.In my case, I went into the panel.cfg, and adjusted the landing panel view direction (I believe I found that 6.5 or so was a good value, vs. the 12.x value that was originally there). The net result has been a much easier time when landing the C421.... -John

Guest gasebah

I never do a landing in a 2D cockpit anymore. Since I do it from the VC I had not one bad landing regardless of aircraft. When I used to land in the 2D those fire trucks were on their way when they saw me coming.Alex

I discovered that even the V/C view is skewed somewhat by the view setting for the view forward direction--I was using the V/C for a while as well, and I still do from time to time on replays.... I do love the VC and cabin in this aircraft...it's the best!-John