Sign in to follow this  

To those who sim in Oz

As much as I enjoy my Alaska/Canada bush flying, I also enjoy flying in Australia. To that end, I just visited Sydney Flight Center and downloaded some very nice sceneries, including Brisbane International, Katoomba and Hoxton Park. The Brisbane scenery installed and loads up just fine. I then installed the Katoomba scenery, which installed okay and loaded up fine as well. Unfortunately, I seem to be missing some textures..... what I'm seeing amongst the trees are some tall, vertical 2 dimensional white or gray rectangles! The ReadMe for Katoomba says it needs Airport2.6, VOD, Nova and NovaGold texture sets. What I have installed are Airport 210, VOD3, Nova and NovaGold texture sets. Is the Airport2.6 different from the Airport 210? I was led to believe they were the same. Aren't the VOD3 textures the most recent release? With the Hoxton Park scenery, there are even MORE white and grey rectangles!If someone can help me out or point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. I have a handful of other Oz sceneries that ALL seem to require the same textures, so I figured I'd get this matter straightened out before installing any more.Thanks in advance. :-smooch-Lindy :-wave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the response.The fix for Katoomba was if one gets an error message about an object not being found, so I didn't think I needed it. I DID however try installing it, but it didn't do a thing.All the texture files go in the FS2002 main Texture folder, right? That's where I have all mine. Do you have the full version of Hoxton Park? I have the "lite" version....... my machine can barely handle the lite version of Brisbane, so I figured I better grab the lite versions of anything when available. -Lindy

..... missing winter tree textures. If I change the season to spring, summer or fall, everything works just fine. BTW that Katoomba scenery is pretty spectacular! But in the winter season, some of the trees show up as big vertical rectangles. :-(Anyone happen to know what tree textures Greg Archer used? I have all the required textures installed as listed in the ReadMes.-Lindy :-wave

Hi Lindy,It appears that some of the Nova tree texts have a problem with winter textures, only noticed recently.Bit of a nova problem!!, wont use that paticular tree again.With the Nova and Nova Gold, best to get them form the Nova site.http://www.fsnova.com/Download section, 4 text downloads, all into the Main FS2002 texture folder.Airport 2.10+ is correct VOD 3.00 also correct ASD required alsoHave a look on the main page of the Sydney Flight Sim Center re help on the texture problem.http://www.aussim.com/sfsc/intro.htmlAlso a great article on Landclass for Australia.Cheers Greg A

:-waveBit of a Nova problem, huh? Well, I hope the author manages to fix it someday. In the meantime, I just won't fly there in the winter! :-)Yes, I got all my Nova textures from the Nova site; I also have the ASD textures installed (along with the others, airport2.10 and VOD). I downloaded the sceneries from Sydney Flight Center. An amazing website which I've bookmarked for future use. Lots of good looking Australian scenery there. And I did read the texture help article there too...... it did answer some of my general texture questions. BTW that Katoomba scenery is most impressive. I took a short helicopter flight around the area. It was sooooo cool to be flying along at only a few hundred feet altitude and then watch as the ground drops away and I was suddenly looking out over a valley. The hot air ballons are a wonderful touch as well. Good job, Greg. Thanks for a great scenery.-Lindy

Yep...Summer and Spring in OZ is the go even in real time, you may also want to try the freeware Terrain Mesh for Australia available at SATPAC.. http://www.satpac.pcsa.net.au/ enhances Katoomba no end combined with the landclass Wow!!, what a differance it makes.On another area, downloaded Narita in Japan by Kazuhiro Miyazaki beautiful job, have been a couple of times into Narita and the area around the airpoprt is Industrial not bushland as FS has it, landclass can fix that problem, hopefully someone will come with some LC for Japan as well, worth following up.Happy flying Greg

Greg, I am downloading the SATPAC terrain mesh practically as we speak. I wondered how to find it as none of the websites seemed to have a link for it. But just tonight (Sunday) an earlier response to one of my posts contained the link, and it's now safely bookmarked. I thought the Katoomba scenery HAD a portion of terrain mesh already included. But if not, I'll get that rectified soon....... just hope my computer can handle it. Keep up the good work with the Oz scenery. I'm looking to do some serious helicoptering around that country. :-)-Lindy :-wave