Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

Questions regarding SIDs

Guest GabrielR

MIAMI ONE DEPARTUREAll runways 9L/R, 27 L/R, 12 and 30Heading as assigned by ATC. All aircraft MAINTAIN 5000' or assigned lower altitude and EXPECT vectors to appropriate transition. EXPECT further clearance to filed altitude 10 Minutes after departure.This is the description of the MIA 1.MIA departure, does that mean that in the 744, for example I climb up to 5000

Well, the way it actually works is *as* described above, in your DP description (in the US they've renamed SIDs as DPs - Departure Procedures.) However, Departure will almost always have cleared the flight to a higher level (usually 14,000 for Miami) prior to handoff to Center. The way that the DP is flown is that you follow the waypoints while climbing to 5,000 or other assigned altitude and on the aircraft's normal acceleration schedule - for most jets it is <=250kts until 10,000 ft. For some aircraft, such as the 744, the minimum safe speed for the 744 is higher than 250kts - so they accelerate to that, and are allowed to under FAR Part 91. After passing 10,000 usually the aircraft is cleared to accelerate according to its normal schedule. Typically this is controlled by FMC/FMS/TRC or what-have-you such that the EPR or N1 is limited to a particular climb thrust, as rated for altitude, temperature, etc. for those aircraft equipped with such devices. In the sim, this is not possible unless you are using a 3rd-party addon that has this built-in (such as 767PIC, DF737-400, PSS747/777, Mad Dog, etc.) If your panel/aircraft doesn't have this capability, use 270/M0.74. This means about 290kts from 10,000 to about FL270 then Mach0.74 up to your cruise altitude.Look at the DP - it should show three numbers inline with the route line/arrow between waypoints. Looking at the MIA4 DP (which is probably the same as the MIA1 DP and on my own inspection, the same as the MIA3 DP), between DHP and WINCO, there is listed: 3000/322 degrees/(50) - what this means is Altitude minimum 3000, heading 322 degrees and 50nm distance. It also shows V97-521, meaning you are on the V97/V521 airways. Note that the applicable Jet route which co-exists with V97-521 isn't printed on the DP.Typically, you choose the transition that is applicable to the DP and runway in use and typically is the first waypoint on an airway for the route you are flying. Looking at a chart, it shows that J43 and J86 are co-routes (above FL180) with V97 and V521. If I were flying a route that utilized J86, then I would use the MIA4.WINCO DP - WINCO would be the first waypoint on the J86 airway. My next waypoint on that airway being LBV (La Belle VOR station).Hope this helps

Guest GabrielR

Thank you, and yes you are right about the transitions. In real life, then I would be climbing al the way to to 14,000' until they cleared me to my filed alltituded, that makes more sense, thanks again.

I think you misunderstood me. You are to only climb to the altitude as published in the DP - In this case, IIRC, the altitude as published is 5000 ft. IF ATC clears you for higher, only THEN can you climb to the altitude they assigned you. They can ALSO choose to clear you to a lower altitude (typically to avoid arrival traffic).The point is - unless ATC clears you to a different altitude, you HAVE to maintain the altitude as published in the DP. If ATC clears you to 14,000 then you climb to 14,000. If they clear you to 3,000 then you only climb to 3,000. This is typically why a clearance will state "...Climb and Maintain XXXX, expect FL270 10 minutes after departure..." This XXXX could be the same as published in the DP, or it could be a different altitude. For example, suppose the weather ain't too good. They may have arrivals at a lower altitude and may require departures to climb to a much higher altitude than as published - both to avoid the weather and arrival traffic.For some really good information, check out the various ARTCC sites associated with vatsim.

Guest GabrielR

Ok, Now I see, I'm going to check the ARTCCs. Thanks for the response...