Sign in to follow this  
Guest DrBob

RE: Steve Small's air file for Baron 58

Hi,I refer to the thread I posted on friday. Because it's locked now I'll do it that way. 1st, I will thank Steve for providing the file. I do affirm to respect any copyright associated.2nd, I didn't want to touch such a sore spot. I'm an AVSIM member since march 2002 and I didn't know anything about this incident. I'm totally with Steve and I think, copyright violation must be punished in any case (I also have to make my money with software development, so I know what we are generally talking about). But I agree with AVSIM that only law enforcement and judicial officials can make any type of final determinations of fact.I don't want to revive all the bad feelings from the past and hope, such a great developer as Steve and such a great forum like AVSIM can tolerate each other sometimes in the future. It would be a gesture of respect and would be of great benefit for the whole community.Greetings from Germany, Thomas.

Guest DrBob

As some of you know I am a psychiatrist and a large part of what I do is to help others see things form a new perspective, often the 'perspective of another person' when there is conflict between them. In this instance, Steve's withdrawal of his airfiles and the no FSD files on avsim could be looked at as a tantrum but also as the expression of a frustration with airfile piracy over and over again, all the more upsetting that others have made a buck on it. Kind of like Ferdy making bucks on files stolen from folks generous enough to host a major website... it is upsetting and intolerable. If Ferdy were to apologize using similar language to Carenado, making it out to be a mistake without really taking responsibility for it or offering reparation would that satisfy those upset feelings? probably not I would say.Tom's position of reporting the facts and opinions yet monitoring the situation to avoid litigation that would jeapordize the whole website makes sense and is responsible corporate behavior.On the other hand, we as a community should be supportive of those talented individuals who donate so much time for our hobby when they have allegedly been wronged by a third party. We have never had a cnsorship of threads discussing these matters and most folks who visit the site regularly know all about the pirates and crooks. Reviews on products from those with an alleged history of wrongdoing can yield forum discussions or direct feedback for which the individual bears the legal responsibility, not the website, just like user feedback at e-bay.The real vilains here are neither Tom or Steve. Both of these men are fine contributors to the community and our hobby. The vilains are those who created dissent amongst us by even bringing up a hint of impropriety and allegations of piracy. Perhaps it is too risky legally to be point out the allegation history for new product reviews etc but we 'could' have a honor roll page where companies like FSD or DreamFleet or PSS etc that have a clean track record could be exemplified. Or a e-bay kind of system where we could each as individuals leave feedback comments about our dealings with individual companies. Potential customers could wade through them and decide for themselves who they want to deal with. my intention here was simply to share a few comments and is not meant to be a comprehensive professional review of the situation...I'm just a simmer who happens to deeply respect both Tom and Steve for all they do and they do ALOT!Bob Shubinski Reno, NV