Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joshieca

Flight Service Station Question.....

Guest DreamFleet

I'm sure someone will give a more detailed response, but essentially the name says it all "Flight Service". The FSS provides complete flight information and services; weather information, NOTAMS, and more. Sort of one stop shopping when planning / conducting a flight. Call up FSS, ask for a briefing, and they will tell you what you need to know, from weather, applicable NOTAMS, etc. You can file and cancel your flight plan through the FSS, you can give PIREPS through the FSS, they can even provide airport advisories; you name it.Find yourself flying VFR but heading into IFR conditions? Contact the nearest FSS, check the weather, and file an IFR flight plan into your destination.At an uncontrolled field, departing IFR? Call up FSS to get your clearance.If you get them in the right mood, they might even do the dishes for you! ;-)Used to love it when the FSS was on the field at TEB (many moons ago). They were on the way to my FBO, and I could stop there first, speak with a briefer, and get all I needed. Later they moved down to Millville, New Jersey, and I had to use the phone. I guess I got spoiled with that personal face-to-face service.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest Joshieca

Thanks Lou...that covers it, it would seem. :)