Sign in to follow this  
Guest wkzzo

Help with Aspen KASE ILS

Is this screwed up in the default scenery? Is anyone aware of an AFCAD file that fixes this? I don't know how to fix it in AFCAD. Can anyone help out?Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There is no ILS into Aspen, Colorado (KASE.) The only instrument approach into KASE is the VOR/DME or GPS-C approach into runway 33. (I've flown this approach with FS2k2 a couple of times and it seems to operate correctly.) The chart can be accesed at http://edj.net/cgi-bin/echoplate.pl . Just search for 'KASE' and it will display all availilbe charts for the airport. Hope this helps.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 10480

I believe Dave talking about the mountaintop offset LDA for missed approach, which certainly isn't attached to any runway (or even near the airport).So the answer to your question Dave is that the KASE LDA ILS is right where it should be and pointed right where it should. You follow it as a back-course navaid on missed approach to GLENO so you don't do a faceplant into the side of Aspen Mountain.

Yeah Dave, nothing is screwed up, read up on your General Aviation principles ;-)

Hey there, controller............:))The approach into Aspen is for Runway 15, not 33.ALL landings at ASE are on runway 15 and departures are on 33.REGARLDESS OF WIND.....15 has an upslope which is of some help in stopping when landing with a tailwind.Rising terrain on the east/south/west quadrants prevent using 33 for landing and 15 for takeoff.I know, I have operated in and out of Aspen with corporate jet equipment.gramps

I am confused as to why you say all landings are on RW15 when the VOR/DME or GPS-C approach plate guides you to RW15 and only has circling minimums listed. This tells me I cannot do a straight in to RW15 but must circle to land on RW33. Am I missing something here? Ken

An approach with only circling minimums does not mean that you MUST circle. Circling-only minimums are used in two situations: If the final approach course is more than 30 degrees away from the runway heading, or if the missed approach point is so high and/or close to the runway that a "normal" descent and landing cannot be made from the MAP. The latter is the case at Aspen. The MAP is 1.4 miles from the threshold and about 2400 ft above the runway elevation. A 90 kt approach speed would require a descent to the runway of over 2500 ft/min - obviously not practical.Several things could happen here, depending on the ceiling and visibility. The best and safest is if you acquire the runway visually before reaching the MAP. In this case you are legal to descend before reaching the MAP. The weather would have to be pretty good before I'd do this. If you can see the runway but there's still some cloud or fog between you and the airport, this is NOT a good idea. If you don't see the runway until reaching the MAP, you could legally circle back to rwy 15 by doing something like overflying rwy 15 at the circling altitude, then make a 180 and enter a downwind for rwy 15. Considering the terrain around Aspen, I don't think I'd try this in real life. The only other option at this point would be a missed approach.Dan

Thanks! That clears it up a bit but a question still remains, can you legally land on RW33 at Aspen?Ken

Here's a shot dave of the approach using the 767 pic panel I had posted it on the pic forum. Yes the ILS I-PKN is a 300 degree backcourse localizer that you follow for the missed approach .http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d5ec13e5174ce6d.jpg

Ken,According to the chart, "Normally Land 15, Take-off 33". Yes, you can legally land 33, but it is really not advised, and is totally up to the tower. The small planes would not have a huge problem (except for noise abatement, which Aspen doesn't allow any noise over it), but anything larger is not going to have any room to land on 33.(Finally found the chart)http://avsim.com/flightdeck/temp/aspen.jpg

Yes, even in jets you can. You have to fly a right hand pattern to land on 33.

Thanks Scott, My NOS chart does not have that statement about RW15 and RW33 on it. I took the Cheyenne in there today and found it totally possible to break off and enter a right downwind for runway 33 but it was tight. I don't think it would be easy in a Jet. And if they have noise abatement requirements over Aspen forget RW33. This is a really good approach to practice in the Sim a few hundred times before flying it in the real world.Ken