Sign in to follow this  

Using VIP with CSL...

...can be done, but with some modifications.I think it would be a good idea for those that are using it to be able to see those that aren't.First step:You must "mutate" both versions of the CSL_ICAO file into one. I've prefixed the aircraft titles in the CSL List with "CSL -", for easy identification. If you are unsure of how to do this, be patient, I will have something posted somewhere as soon as I verify this works properly.Second step:copy this new CSL_ICAO.csv file to your Squawkbox directory. PLEASE make a backup of your existing one before doing this..I implore you.Third step, and this is optional, and for those wanting to not see the annoying list of aircraft grown by leaps and bounds in your simulator. You must MODIFY the air file that VIP uses. I found out this afternoon that if you simply rename the air file, as the author has indicated, it DOES NOT work (proper rendering of the objects, that is). Least not for me and my testing guinea pig (thanks Chuck). This can be done by using AirEd (found at most Flightsim related websites). The stock jet.air file contains three records. The last is an unknown record. You must open an .air file that is a valid one, or at least find one that contains record 105 (Aircraft type). Please, PLEASE make a backup of the valid airfile you open before doing this, or make a copy and open that instead of the original. Then, you can right click on that record, select "Copy to clipboard", then close the record. Then, you open the jet.air file in the fsidc directory using AirEd, then right click on any of the three entries, and click on "Add from clipboard". MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT CLICK ON "REPLACE FROM CLIPBOARD, OR THE RECORD THAT IS HIGHLITED WILL BE REPLACED WITH THIS RECORD. After this record is added, make sure it is record 105, and says "Aircraft Type" next to it. There will be an integer here, typically this is a 0. Change this number to 2, and save the air file.That's it...Those of you not wanting to go through that kind of trouble, be patient, and hopefully tomorrow I will upload somewhere a package including the modified air file and csl_icao.csv file. I still need to make absolutely sure that it works. I tested it today leaving the .air file name intact, instead of renaming it, and all was well.Keep in mind though, that if you are using a VIP texture, you will show up to those not using the VIP object set as their own aircraft, regardless.Kudos goes out to both Jun Takahashi and Sean Galbraith for both sets of common shapes.Any questions, please feel free to ask them here. -----------------------Mark BrummettZKC Asst Chief/Chief Instructor

I'm sorry, but I have a dumb question. What is VIP?

VIPVIP is just another version of the CSL models, made by different designers. They have a bigger VA selection than the original CSL set, and look a tad better, IMO.