Sign in to follow this  

Basic questions on on-line flying

Hi again, all.After my post on connection issues, here are some of the questions I still have in mind, even though I read the SB tutorial or manual. Keep in mind I only know on on-line flying what I think I understood from the manuals (no experience so far):1- what is the difference between Vatsim and Ivao? Which one should I try first?2- Is it better to get started, to communicate with the controllers in writting (chat box) or by voice (Roger Vilco)?3- Do I really need to have (and to get use to) ALL the charts of where I intent to fly or can I imagine to rely on the controllers for those I don't have?4- Is there any place around where it is admissible to speak french?5- Is there any point to fly in areas where there is no controllers on line?6- If for example, in the area I want to fly, the only on-line controller is a "Center" controller, how do I have to start my flight? Should I place to him my Clearance request or should I take off and take contact with him when I would have been handed over to him by any "Approach" controller?Sure, I will have some other questions as I go forward....Many thanks!Bien amicalementMichelKSEA

Guest Stamatis

1- what is the difference between Vatsim and Ivao? Which one should I try first?That is a personal choice. Try both and make up your own mind. It is like asking "what car should buy?"2- Is it better to get started, to communicate with the controllers in writting (chat box) or by voice (Roger Vilco)?If the controller you will be contacting has Voice capabilities, use voice. Otherwise use text.3- Do I really need to have (and to get use to) ALL the charts of where I intent to fly or can I imagine to rely on the controllers for those I don't have?Charts are not obligatory. If you don't have any though, it will be difficult for you to tune ILS frequencies, know the LOC courses etc. I strongly suggest you download at least the approach charts of the airports you will be visiting.Also, if you have no enroute charts whatsoever, how will you be able to navigate along your cleared route (flight plan)?If you have no SID/STAR plates, no big problem, simply state so in the REMARKS section of your flight plan.4- Is there any place around where it is admissible to speak french?In general, you are allowed to speak the native language. But if there are non native pilots around be prepared to switch to "English only", when a controller asks you to.5- Is there any point to fly in areas where there is no controllers on line?That's for you to decide.If you fly online, chances are that a controller will see your flight plan and may man one of the ATC positions.Happy flying online,Stamatis