Sign in to follow this  

California Screamin 5 - Thank You to all Pilots

Just a note to thank all the pilots who made the fifth California Screamin' quite possibly the best one yet.Our threats of filling the skies with virtual aluminum came true for anyone connected to VATSIM in the vicinity of SFO, LAX, LAS or PHX. The turnout was fantastic.Some VATSIM.net flightplan stats for June 23:KSFO 63 arvls 65 depsKLAX 205 arvls 133 depsKLAS 75 arvls 84 depsKPHX 36 arvls 34 depsKSAN 26 arvls 34 depsNot to mention KOAK, KSMF, KSJC, KSNA, KONT, KBUR, KSBA, KABQ, & KTUS - which each got between 7 to 35 ops.Despite the staggering traffic - both controllers and pilots seemed at the top of their game and things appeared to go very smoothly. As you can see, LAX was simply filled with traffic, yet I saw very few holds enacted airborne (we did have to 'ground stop' departures into LAX briefly).While we had some network 'shakiness' right at the beginning, it smoothed out soon, and during the bulk of the event the network performed just fine.Taken into account with some of the great recent 'large-scale' European events, I think this speak volumes about the steady growth of vatsim and our hobby, and our ability to execute more large scale and compelling events.I am looking forward to the USAs Central Scramble on 8/10, where I will get off the radar scope, and go strap my new Lear35 on my back.Also, I want to thank the following staffers:Ryan Stone - ZOA Chief and CS5 site webmasterEven Baker - ZOA AC and last minute routes planner for ZOAReece Hunter - ZOA Events Coord. and morale booster.Jeff Hall - ZAB Chief who bought ZAB into the gameDoug Hart - ZAB AC and flight planning consultant (real world ATC)Justin Ingersoll - ZAB Events Coord. another positive attitude guyIan Elchitz - Former ZLA AC and flight board app programmerand of course our own:Jeff Clark - ZLA Chief (former r-w ATC), inventor of Cal ScreamSee ya all in the virtual skies !Jim BartoshZLA ARTCC Asst. Chief

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I hope you do it again Jim, it was a great event. I flew PHX-LAX-SFO-LAS. I really enjoyed myself. I wish I had been able to continue from LAS to LAX.I was very impressed with the controllers. All had obviously done their homework and had a solid knowledge of their responsible airspace. Unfortunately, on my first leg, the LAX_CTR controller experienced some RW difficulties and had to revert to text for a while. Only minor server problems from then on.Also, I appreciated the effort at making flightplans and actual flights with push times, etc. Unfortunately, I only fly a Delta 767, so I chose my standard callsign of DAL488, but I did fly the preferred routing for each of my legs.I really enjoy flying on the west coast. The traffic level has certainly increased there. When SATCO first started, KORD was the place to be, then KJFK seemed to be busy. But these days, I think LAX might be the busiest airport in VATUSA.Once again, thanks for the great event.JamesDAL488