Sign in to follow this  

Newbie - Flying Sector to Sector

I have enjoyed FS for many years. I also have a student ticket, flying out of Tulsa, OK KRVS (Jones Riverside)I recently had my first online flying experience, using RW and SB. Was an enjoyable experience. Have a couple of questions.Filed from KDFW to KTUL (737). Contacted Fort Worth controller via voice (RW). After clearance, takeoff and some vectoring I was cleared out of the Dallas area and advised to "resume own navigation". I believe that in real life I would be handed-off to KC center. If a controller is available, what is the process of contacting KC center? Is this a "seamless" process? Does KC Center already have my flight plan? Do they also act as the controller into the Tulsa area?Thanks in advance for information.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi - Tulsa is very close to the ftw/mkc boundary. Ft. Worth normally works aircraft inbound to Tul from the south, and outbound aircraft from Tul southbound. Mkc works them in from the north and northbound departures. (In real life, the Tul appch control area extends south into the FTW area and north into the MKC area, so normally handoffs are made to/from them from FTW and MKC.) When you file a flight plan in SB, all centers have it and can click on your target to display it. Hope that helps.Jerry Musselman

"FTIGER_OK,"First of all, welcome to VATSIM. I'm sure you'll have many great experiences with online flying.As you your question. All controllers on the network do indeed have your flight plan (and with ASRC, the new controller client) controllers can even modify your flight plan for you (i.e route changes, alitutde changes, VFR to IFR, etc.) Handoffs are also relively simply. If you're flying KSFO-KLAX, when nearing the AVE VOR, Oakland center will say something like:'Contact LAX_V_CTR on 125.80, good day...'Just simply go to your ATC directory (right click in SB window) and double click on 'LAX_V_CTR.' Roger Wilco will automatically connect to his voice IP and you're ready to go. One more thing. I recommend gettting FSNavigator. It depicts the various centers, so you're know who airspace you're in. It's payware and can be found If you have any further questions, feel free to e-mail me at young49er@cox.netRyan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:members.cox.net/santracon/home|SAN TRACON Homepage] [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com. Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 40.41 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298