Sign in to follow this  
Guest lazlo123

getting started

Guest lazlo123

after creating a host session in fs02 i open sb host, then sb main, click through the ok's, and when i click start search, it forever reads searching, it never finds anything, help?

Guest MB327

Have you tried entering the IP address "127.0.0.1", instead of leaving the field in SB blank? This is a special IP that always points back to your machine. Also make sure you turn off your firewall if you have one, including the Windows firewall if your running XP. Check the tutorial here: http://www.fspilotguy.tk/Verify you are using the updated version of HostSB listed on the VATSIM software page:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=RootAlso check the trouble shooting suggestions on here for possible problems.http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/sbrelay/contact.html(update to DirectX 9.0b if you have not done so already)Another page to check your setup against is:http://www.fsnordic.net/article/tutorial/s...4/sb_fs2004.php

Guest lazlo123

ok, got that part going, now i have to load a flight plan, i'm trying to use the sb fms but the box that pops up gets cut off and i can't expand it. it goes over to the right so far as the del button, i can see just a little of more buttons so i know there's somethin over there... should i just not bother with this and look for an easier way? thanks for the help!

Guest MB327

Two best ways to file your flight plan:A) http://vatsim.net/fp (Before connecting to VATSIM) --See step (4) belowor:( Start up your system and before connecting to the network: 1) On the Squawkbox menu, select "ATC Functions" 2) On the popup menu, select "File Flight Plan" 3) In the Flight Plan window (note: you can move this window around)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/44965.jpg 4) Use the dropdown button at the top and select your aircraft --- This should be done even if you chose option (A) above. 5) Use the appropriate suffix for your aircraft equipment 6) Select VFR or IFR ENTER THE FOLLOWING: 7) True Airspeed 8) Departure Airport Code 9) Estimated departure time10) Cruise Altitude11) The flight plan (use a description of intended route if VFR)12) The Destination Airport Code13) Time Enroute14) Remarks --- /v/ (stands for "voice capable" --- Add other appropriate remarks such as "Newbee - First Flight" 15) Fuel on board in hours and minutes16) Alternate Airport Code17) Verify the name and home base should agree with your "connect" screen18) Enter the number souls on board19) Connect to VATSIM20) On the SB menu, select "Resend Flight Plan" <-- Very Important

Guest lazlo123

Thank you! A few more questions... suppose i don't want to fly "to" anywhere, i just want to go up, fly around and come back to the same airport, do i still file a flight plan? also, what is the 'suffix' field? Thanks again for your help..

Guest MB327

OK, I'm glad the answers above are helping you.Your next questions:Are Flight Plans Always Required on VATSIM?In the REAL world (many locations), flight plans are not always required for VFR flight. However, on VATSIM we encourage all pilots to file a flight plan every time they connect, even if only logging on to observe ATC communications or doing a short VFR flight within the traffic pattern. The reason for filing a flight plan each time you connect to VATSIM is to allow the ATC staff to know your intentions.For example, you want to just listen to ATC communications as a new memberShow the airport you are sitting at in the Departure and Arrival boxes, leave the flight plan section empty, then in the comments section write "Newbee, just observing ATC comms"Another example, you want to do a VFR takeoff, fly the pattern, then land at the airport you departed fromShow the airport you are departing from in the Departure and Arrival boxes, in the flight plan section enter "Pattern practice", then in the comments section write "Newbee, just practicing"By doing this, ATC and VATSIM Support Staff will know what you want to do without having to ask. They will also be able to offer assistance to you as a new member of VATSIM so that your experience is much more enjoyable. If the airport is controlled, you must get a release for taxi, take off clearance, and landing clearance. If no ATC is on-line for your area, you never know when they might open up. Be prepared for that by having a valid flight plan filed that clearly shows you intentions.Be sure to include the /v/ in the comments as shown in earlier screenshot if you are voice capable. What are the Suffix Codes that are entered after the aircraft field in SB?Use the appropriate code after your aircraft type: X - No Transponder; No DME. T - Transponder/No Altitude Encoding or DME. U - Transponder/Altitude Encoding; No DME. D - DME Only. B - Transponder/DME; No Altitude Encoding. A - Transponder/Altitude Encoding and DME. W - RNAV (Area Navigation) Only*. C - RNAV Transponder/No Altitude Encoding*. I - RNAV Transponder/Altitude Encoding*. E - FMS with dual Internal Reference Units (IRU). F - FMS G - GPS/GNNS Approach/Non-Approach Capable. R - RNP Type Certification