Sign in to follow this  
Guest captbulldog

STEP CLIMBING :)

Guest united777

Hey, well I just have a quick question about Step Climbing that has been on my mind for a while.when pilots do that 'step climb' as we see alot when FS'ers do there long hauls. do pilots say the the ATC "umm, we're going to step climb now, it'll take about 500nm to do" or something in that area.- when step climbing, and you have your OPT @ fl250 and it then changes to lets say - OPT-FL251. would you increase your alt 100 feet? whats the deal? *:-*.-I do know what Step climbing is, I am just trying to get some of the confusion cleared up for me.thank you for your help. sorry for any sentences that are not clear, I wasn't sure on how to word them. :-mad1 thanks!UA ROCKS!"come fly our friendly skies" (by friendly, we MEAN FRIENDLY ;)

All aircraft have an optimum altitude for the weight of the a/craft.I just use a rule of thumb, no higher than FL350 on initial altitude.Then maybe an hour after takeoff, go to next usable altitude.YOu must request a higher altitude from ATC when you feel that the aircraft is light enough to go higher.Try to find a manual for the a/c in question and it will show the weights and altitudes that are best.In the U.S. you must use proper altitude requests:Westbound = even altitudes up to FL280 above FL 280 you must fly at 310, 350, 390, etc.Eastbound = odd altitudes up to FL290 above FL290 you must fly at 330, 370, 410, etc.Altitude seperation for ATC is 1,000 ft. up to FL290, then 2,000 ft.seperation above FL 290.gramps

Guest captbulldog

The step climb is calculated by the FMC. It'll say something like "STEP to FL390 150nm/21:01z" meaning that you're going to step climb the airplane to FL390 150nm from where you are or ETA 21:01z.How much depends on where you are. In the US we climb by ICAO unless the pilot requests otherwise. ICAO is done by 4000ft. In Europe, as I understand, is done by 2000ft.That's the quick answer I can give ya' because I got to get to school now :)