Sign in to follow this  

Will FS2004 make non-GMAX obsolete?

I was just wondering as I read a lot of posts about FS2004 and expectations people have.Tendency is that a lot of people think FS2004 most probably will focus completely on utilizing GMAX, which sounds very logical.Could this mean that today's non-GMAX sceneries will become useless?I don't know about you guys, but I'm buying more scenery add-ons then ever before in my 16 years of flight simming...Every time again I try to withstand the urge to buy, but then you see some screen shots, reviews etc. and there we go again:another reg code to keep safe :)I'm just a bit worried that FS2004 will make them all obsolete as it _could be_ it only allows GMAX....I'm no techie, so I don't know about the backward compatibility (MS has a reputation to keep up here :) ).Oh well, let's wait and see.Cheers!- Gideon (EHAM)

Guest A32X

I think by FS2004 you might want to leave your old scenery behind. Backward compatibility, pffft. I can't wait for the dynamic VCs :-)

IMHO I don't see MS integrating sceneries like we have as add-ons today.So in regard to "leaving behind 'ye olde sceneries":Ok, but what will we get in return?I'm not as optimistic as you :)And dynamic VC's? Let's see next month...- Gideon (EHAM)

Hi There Gideon yes the rumor mill does indeed say that most everything you see will be re-done. Gmax is an object creation toola sub set of 3DSMax but it was not used for the terrain mesh(the world) like I said only the 3D objects were done in 3DSmax. Mircosofthas yet to fully unlock how the scenery end of things works(through aproper sdk) so much of what even 2002 can really do is really unkown One can only hope that they (Microsoft) will relase one in a timely manner for FS2004 Many people who develop for this sim are holding out for a sdk but I do not think at this late stage we will see onefor 2002. Dan