Sign in to follow this  

Main FS2k PC In One Room/Cockpit In Basement - Cables

Hi All:Maybe a dumb question but I'll have a go anyway. I plan to buy a super >2.0 GHz PC so I can run FS2k for my cockpit. This PC will be used priamarily for FSK2k scenery and controls input. I will have less powerful PC's for my gauges, radio stacks and GPS system. Here's my dilemna.I'd like to have the new super PC based in my study (main floor of house) and my cockpit will be in basement. The reason being so I can do all my other PC work (e-mail etc.) in my study. When I want to go flying I fire up main PC and then run downstairs into and jump into cockpit.Is there any limit to the length of cables for hooking controls i.e. yokes, throttles, rudder pedals, projectors, network cable etc. you should use ? It will be approximately 30 ft from my study to basement. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated ?Thanks...JB

JB, You said you will have less powerful computers for guages. If you place them in the basement and put your router there, you could just run a cat5 cable to the computer upstairs to network them all together. I believe you can run up to 50 feet without problem. As far as yoke etc. connect them to the slower computers in the basement. I believe you can use them to control fs running on faster computer as long as you are connected with wideserver. As far as the monitor I don't know the distance you can be from the computer. Hope I've helped a little. Keep us posted as to how you make out. I have thought of doing something simular.Rich

Thanks Rich:I'll keep you posted of what I find out. My wife would kill me if she knew I bought super PC and put it down stairs and hidden away. I'm in early planning stages while I wait for main panels to come from FDS.Also I'm a bit challenged when it comes to PC's/electronics so this will be a learning experience for me....what is a router and cat5 cable ?Thanks...JB

Guest MikePowell

JBCAT5 or category 5 cable is telecommunications cable rated to carry digital computer network data. You can use it up to 100 Mbps. It's actually pretty inexpensive. You can buy it at Home Depot for use within walls, or you can buy 6', 10', 25' and 50' lengths with connectors on the ends for use as accross the floor tripping hazards between networked computers (my favorite!). If you buy the cable in bulk you will also need the wall plates and connectors. Home Depot carries these as well.A router is a computer network switch capable of recognizing IP (Internet Protocol) addresses and redirecting network traffic. It used to be that routers were expensive devices used by only by big comapnies and ISPs. With the growth of home networks, small routers have appeared that handle as few as five connections, four computers and one network connection. As an example go to the Linksys site and look up the BEFSR41. This lets a group of four computers network with each other as well as sharing a single Internet connection. The difference between a hub and a router is that the hub only allows networking between the computers connected to the hub. The router can offer address translation, basic firewall security, port blocking, Internet sharing, etc...Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Hello there!I am doing something similar, only three computers downstairs.You will have a problem with PS2 cable lengths about 15 feet max and USBs, unless you get a powered hub. The video cable should have an amplifier attached to it, as the length will add loss.I just set everything up upstairs and then move the video switch to the downstairs monitor. All the cables except for the network and video cable is at the computer upstairs. This still requires me to sometimes go upstairs for small mouse or keyboard commands, but only when I am testing things. Wideview has a shutdown remote PC command on the server which is downstairs, so that eliminates the need for me to go up and down.Best Regards,Joe

Guest Salbado

I am running a 30 ft. Cat 5 cable from the FS Server to the Project Magenta Clients - 15 Feet Away and have has no problem although the PC is in the same room...hope this helps.

Thanks everyone...the comments have beeen very helpful. I will let you know what happens..hopefully I won't blow the house up !!Cheers..JB