Sign in to follow this  

Adding a POV Hat to a Suncom Yoke (G-Force)

Here's my problem. I bought a Suncom Yoke (I know is not the best but for my home cockpit is perfect). It has 4 switches but no POV Hat, I got the POV hat(4 switch: up, down, left, right) from another joystick and modified the yoke to fit this new switch (it looks factory made!). Now, does anybody know how to wire it to the PC and make it a 8 way Hat switch (Sidewinder uses also a 4 switch setup for it's 8 views). A schematic would be helpfull, if pictures are needed to solve the problem let me know. Thanks!!

Guest MikePowell

A possible source of information is The Stickworks http://home.att.net/~stickworks/ I don't know if you'll find what you need, but possibly you will. The site also has links to related sites. Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders

Of all the joysticks I've hacked, the POV hat was always made out of 4 tack switches. The 45 degree views in between 0 and 90 degrees are enabled by pressing the 0 and 90 degree switches simultaneously. However, this must be understood by the PC as 45 degree by means of the joystick driver. So far I have not been succesfull in getting this to work via the game port. USB works ofcourse, when using the original USB stick electronics and driver. Things are described in the DIY cockpit controls doc in the library.hope this helps...Roland

Guest PeterK

PeterKThe hat switch uses resistors off the 4-8 switches and makes the gameport think its a 100k pot the switches have different values thatyou can measure with a ohm meter....Usually replacing the rudderposition in the assignment of most games (SIMS) ...I have the G force..EB had them for $15 during the summer..Its not a bad yoke but it has to be mounted because in tabletopform it has awlful suction cups and the ajustable metal rodsdont adjust to to many desks..I need the 2 pointless switches next to the throttle expained tome seeing they dont seem to do anything that iv noticed..pete