Sign in to follow this  

Monitor screens closer together ?

Hi all,I am trying to build a reasonble setup for flying with FS2002 Up to now I have a 4 monitor setup on two PC's using wideview. Two of those monitors are on a Nvidia dualhead card used to create an outside view, and here lies the problem.Only using two monitors for the view, leaves me with a bar in the middle because of the monitor casings put close together. I have been thinking to remove the casings, bring the screens closer together, and build a homemade casing around it.Would that in your opinion be possible, or would they suffer interference from each other being so close together?I am also very afraid to take them apart, I do not wish to ruin my expensive monitors, so maybe there is someone here with experience, who already tried this? Maybe anyone has heard of or seen a site where something like this is explained?Or is there besides buying a third monitor a different (easyer)solution to get rid of the bar in the middle, blocking my runway view? Thanks.....

Guest MikePowell

There are some commercial simulators that use multiple monitors with fresnel lenses in front of each. The lenses magnify the image of each monitor and allow the edges of each image to be aligned with the image of the adjacent monitor. I believe it is described in the paper "Current Developments In Visual Display Technology For Fighter Type Simulators" available on the Link web site: http://www.link.com/papers-1999.html There is some background on display systems for external scenery on my web site. The link page lists several sources for fresnel lenses.No guarantees that this approach will solve your problem, but there are a number of simmers who swear by these lenses.I haven't pulled any recently made monitors apart, but the older ones (roughly 6 years old) I have disassembled didn't get a lot smaller without the case.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Hi, Monitors (that use CRTs) that are put close together can cause mutual interference. It is caused by the magnetic leakage field from the deflection coils. This interference will show as a slight horizontal bar on the screen(s), moving in vertical direction. The speed of the bar depends on the difference in vertical refresh rate that the monitors are running on. If you have both monitors running perfectly synchronized, the bar will not move. Running monitors from different PC's, there will be a difference, and the moving bar will be visible when monitors are put closer than 5" or so. (some monitors are less sensitive than others) The effect can be reduced by putting a sheet of soft metal sheet (hi-mu metal or transformer metal) between the monitors.When opening monitors and putting them in a home made enclosure, you will still have a 1.6" gap (0.8" per (17") CRT) between the screens, due to the glass margin of the CRT. The CRT neck is fragile. Use the lugs on the rimband to mount the CRT.Just a note of warning: in a CRT monitor there are three cable wires that need to be connected to avoid dagerous situations or damage: 1. EHT cap to CRT (EHT = extra high tension around 26000 Volts)2. Ground wire from CRT aquadag (the black coating on the CRT) to video neck board or main PCB3. CRT deflection yokeCheck these 3 before you switch on your home made setup. Monitors have EHT transformers with bleeder resistor. This will discharge the EHT after switch-off in about 30 seconds.Some monitors have "soft" power switch. Remove power cord before disassemby. RgdsRoland

I am using 22inch Cornerstone monitors with the"Main View" at the centre monitor with left and right views respectively. Moved away from the dual head adapters as theFPS drops rapidly if you use ATC and others in an extra window.So 3 computers connected with WideView-Uicp Remains the GAP between the monitors. At a certain moment I removed all ofthe hardware around the tube but apart from having a dangerousenvironment the radiation sealing was cone and interferenceall over the screen. Apart from this on a distance of 8 cma gained only two and the GAP looked worse This as the tubesbent away from top to bottom with at the centre it narrows.So back to the originals and for the moment no solution Cheers Peter de Bruin