Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Panel with gauges on a 2nd PC. Possible?

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,I haved moved my primary flght instruments and the engine instruments to a 2nd and 3rd monitor. Other than that I am running stuff like the FSAvionics Garmin and FsFlightmax in the background. I made sprcial panels that integrate the Garmin and Flightmax.Now I have come to the point where I get a considerable frame rate hit. So I decided to move the stuff to a 2nd computer. Now here is my problem:WideFS allows me to run the external programs like flightmax and the Garmin on a 2nd computer, but will not allow me to display my panels with them.WideView allows to diplay an external view but as I have read in the readme to my great disapointment it is not possible to display panels and gauges.Is there any way to display my panels and gauges plus the external programs on a monitor driven by a 2nd computer. please help.Alex

>Hi guys, >>I haved moved my primary flght instruments and the engine >instruments to a 2nd and 3rd monitor. Other than that I am >running stuff like the FSAvionics Garmin and FsFlightmax in >the background. I made sprcial panels that integrate the >Garmin and Flightmax. >Now I have come to the point where I get a considerable >frame rate hit. So I decided to move the stuff to a 2nd >computer. Now here is my problem: >WideFS allows me to run the external programs like flightmax >and the Garmin on a 2nd computer, but will not allow me to >display my panels with them. >WideView allows to diplay an external view but as I have >read in the readme to my great disapointment it is not >possible to display panels and gauges. >Is there any way to display my panels and gauges plus the >external programs on a monitor driven by a 2nd computer. >please help. >>Alex From WideView FAQ:Can I show instruments on a client PC ?Yes, you can select which instruments must be transferred over the network. Almost every simulator's standard instrument and many custom gauges are supported using WidevieW 2000.Are the remote instruments operative ?Yes, but you have to configure WidevieW in bi-directional mode (see "Configuring WidevieW for a bi-directional communication" in the user's guide)I wonder if that helps?Tuomas

Guest gasebah

Thx a lot for that. But that must be an older version of wide view than cuz the neweset version states:Can I show instruments on a client PC ?WidevieW no longer supports gauges on the clients, as they can be installed on a secondary monitor by simply installing a secondary graphic board in the server. The gauges are not power-hungry like the external scenery, so it has no sense to waste a client PC just for showing a radio stack or something like it.Can you please tell me what version of WideView you have?Thx,Alex

>Thx a lot for that. But that must be an older version of >wide view than cuz the neweset version states: >>Can I show instruments on a client PC ? >>WidevieW no longer supports gauges on the clients, as they >can be installed on a secondary monitor by simply installing >a secondary graphic board in the server. The gauges are not >power-hungry like the external scenery, so it has no sense >to waste a client PC just for showing a radio stack or >something like it. >>Can you please tell me what version of WideView you have? Well. My setup is just one computer. It has two graphics cards:

• [li]One Geforce 3 for a larger "outside view" monitor. This contains just the 3D view, no panels at all.[li]One Matrox Mystique PCI card that runs a 15" monitor that has only the gauges. This is my instrument panel which is being enclosed inside a "instrument panel" console. Picture below. Yeah, it is a custom FS2002 panel made for this purpose, and yes, I have a pretty wide gap between the plywood panel and the monitor screen because the screen is not flat. But the cardboard "tubes" that I have on the left side gauges do really help and I think the thing looks pretty impressive anyhow. The gauges are slightly smaller than real since I only have a 15-inch screen and I want to include VOR and ADF gauges so I can navigate with them.. :)

This is fast (actually faster than having panel and 3d view on one screen since this way FS does not need to mask the panel shape on top of the outside view. Frame rates rose a bit after moving the panel to the other screen.I would guess you can add another monitor - like the WideView document you quoted said, gauges themselves are not very CPU hungry, so my setup works really well.What kind of setup do you have in your mind? Maybe you could stick the gauges on one computer with several videocards and monitors and have the rest of the gear handle the outside views? You dont really need any "cool" videocards for the panels, the crappiest ones you can find are likely sufficient.Tuomas

Guest gasebah

Wow,pretty impressive cockpit. Thx fr yr help, but that is ot what I want to do. I am running 3 monitors from one computer right now. And with the more power hungry programs like FSFlightmax and FSGarmin it is starting to kill framerates. That is not a video card problem but basically a processor time sharing problem. You are right, the gauges are not power hungry, but the problem is that I combine gauges (engine monitoring) and dlls (Flightmax, Garmin) in one panel. Other than that I am running AOL, Active SkyWxRE ... in the background. It all adds up. So now I want to move everything that is on the 3rd monitor to another computer. I added a screenshot to make it more understandable. I do not want to add a 4th monitor for it. One reason is I do not have one, the other is stuff woud get splattered all over the place and my cockpit woould need a completely differnt layout.In the picture you can see what should go to the other computer:Thx fr any more ideas,Alex

Guest gasebah

This is from an e-mail that I received from Luciano today. I hope he don't mind that I issue it here:Hello and thanks for your email. Unfortunately at this time there is no support for gauges in wideview, I've had to discontinue it because of the "new" features for FS2002 and also because they are less requested by other users. Moreover, as said in the docs, using multiple PCI boards is often more convenient and cheaper than multiple PCs. Finally, there are today hundreds of add-on panels and aircrafts for which it would be impossible to add wideview support for each of them (it would require months of work and, for several custom gauges, it would be technically impossible). Anyway please check periodically the discussion forum located at www.escapeairlines.com as I will post any news there. I'm sorry that I cannot help you furthermore at the moment.Best Regards,Luciano.Guess I have to find another way.