Sign in to follow this  

A real moron question

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,this is pretty embarassing I am sure, but I cannot in hell figure out how to add a picture to yr signature. It must pretty simple though as all you guys do it. I no I should post that in the Forum discussion Forum or wherever, but pls gimme a break here.Alex

upload the pic, then put the web address of the pic in the "signature" box in your profile. :)

Guest gasebah

Got it, got it. :-).Thx Kev.Alex

Alex,Just a few things to add. You should keep the sig to under 25K. Anything above that starts to slow down the loading time of threads, especially if each post contains a 25K sig.One other thing to be conscience of is who's bandwidth your using. If you link (to a graphic) outside of Avsim's servers, you better make sure that it is your webspace & data transfer that you are using. Otherwise, you are leeching someone else's bandwidth. While the file size may be small, it does add up over time. And bandwidth is the primary cost for webmasters to consider these days.Kevin, you may want to take note of that last paragraph.Roger

IMPORTANTFind a site that allows direct linking.More & more of these 'free' sites are not allowing direct linking.make sure you find a site that does!

Guest gasebah

Roger,the little pic is 7548 Bytes exactly. and the place is my AOL ftp file space of 20MB that comes with my flatrate.That o.k. :-)?.Thx fr yr help.Alex

Alex,Yup, you done good :-)My comments about remote linking were basically for Kevin. And I bet that Kevin is a good guy and wasn't aware of any issues with linking, but I'm sure the "other" flight sim site won't appreciate it when they look in their logs and see that their bandwidth is being used at a competing site. In this case at avsim.com . The problem isn't so much that Kevin linked his small (21k) image from them, it's that if everyone started to do that it would become a big problem for the other site.In essence, the other site is paying good money, so that Kev's sig can show up at this (competing) site."Hot linking" is a huge "ethics" concern online. Right up there with spam & viruses.Roger

I'm in the process of changing the location. Just need to find somewhere to put it. :)

Kev,Just upload it here at Avsim. They have never objected to members using their storage for sigs. They just ask that you keep it small, and yours should be fine.I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to be accusatory, I just wouldn't want to see Flightsim smack you for hot linking to their servers. By the way, it's a nice sig,RogerEDIT: oops, looks like you beat me to the punch :-) Looks good!