Sign in to follow this  

Newbie questions

I just finished reading Roland van Roy's write up. Ihave also read Kev's Cockpit and still have a few questions regarding a 767 throttle quadrant I wish to build. I need a little info on how potentiometers (Pots?) function, how they are electrically wired in, what stores sell them, what type will I need?Can I have two joysticks connected to a computer at once? How does the computer know which joystick is which? I'm looking for some design ideas for a multi- position flap control, as well as a trim wheel (use of rotary encoder for these?)Thanks in advance. Any additional material I should read for building controls?Ken Rogers

Hi KenYou can use several joysticks at the same time. Use a gameport to USB adaptor for the second (and thirth).If you assign functions in FS you can select to which joystick you assign a certain function.Use pots that are linear of 100 kohm. I got mine from conrad, but every elektronic store will have them.You have turning pots and sliding pots. I made my throttle quadrant with sliding onesseehttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.boschfor details. I am also proud of my springloaded flaps lever with notch positions. You will have to know which pin of the gameport (DB15 port) you have to connect to the pots and switches. THere are online docs for that. http://www.mcp747.com/look onder technical - hardwarehappy building norbert bosch

Hi KenMost of your questions are mentioned in my write-up, in the "basic electrical information" section. Win 98 and above recognise multiple joysticks. (one game port stick and multiple USB interface sticks can be attached) Each one is assigned an ID. The FS programs settings can be changed to assign certain axis to desired functions. It takes some trials but should work in the end. On the flaps, there was a message in this forum showing a nice mechanical solution. http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID42Too bad the pictures are gone, but you need two micro switches with a spring construction that only activates the switch when the lever is pushed in one direction. For trim there are many options, the one in my doc with rotary encoder and electronics is only one of them. Kevin Darling posted a smart low cost solution that you can try: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID42Good luckRoland

Thanks for the replies. Roland, I loved your "DIY Cockpit Controls". However, I was unable to view the flap photos you referred me to in your post.A quick question about installing a second hacked joystick. I own two identical Logitech Wingman Extreme joysticks, one of which I intend to hack and use as part of my interface system. Since these sticks require the same Windows driver, will there not be installation issues when I try to install the same driver twice?Thanks again.Ken Rogers

Two identical sticks should work. Windows should just assign them different ID's depending on the USB port and sequence you plug them in. But since you own them already, why not try it out and plug them both into the same PC? Then you'll find out if there are any driver problems, and can check the axis assignments as well. Can't find the flaps pic in my files either. Maybe you can ask Floyd to post them again. Roland