Sign in to follow this  

crt monitor

I have aquired two green crt monitors, wich i am planning to use for my fmc-displays. Problem is, they are build in (wich is not the biggest prob), and they have a subD 9pin input connector. Is there a way to convert vga to this format? Anyone have experience in this matter?I can email pictures of the monitors if u like... They come from a controle unit from a ADO effects unit for video (brand: Ampex)greetz

Guest MikePowell

Hi Tom,Sounds like you have a very old monochrome display designed for the very first IBM monochrome display adapter card. If this is the case, then the pin out is:1 - ground2 - ground3 - unused4 - unused5 - unused6 - intensity7 - video8 - horizontal sync9 - vertical syncThis system was designed for text display with only 4 levels of brightness, which I believe included the black level. The biggest issue you will face is the scan rate. The horizontal scan is 18.432 KHz while the vertical scan rate is 50 Hz. Modern video cards have a lot of versatility, but the horizontal rate is usually greater than 30 KHz. I don't know if you can set them low enough to drive the older monitors.An alternative is to buy a rebuilt POS (point of sale) monitor. Jameco www.jameco.com sells a 10" diagonal SVGA unit for $60. (part # 210850) This should work with contemporary video cards.If you want a smaller, lower res monochrome display, you might experiment with a 5" BW TV that has a video input. Drive it with a video card with an NTSC video output. Target, Walmart and the like often sell those little TVs for $25~30 on sale. This should give you a 1/4 VGA resolution or maybe a little better.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders