Sign in to follow this  
rickalty

Keyboard passthru wiring

Hi everyone, I'm making a cockpit panel which works as a keyboard emulator. At present - prototype basis - I have it connected to a 4-pole-2-way rotary switch that allows me to switch back and forth between the panel and a regular keyboard for those controls that aren't on the panel (Most of them, for the time being!). I've been warned by someone in my company IT dept though that such switching risks frying the computer and should be avoided. Can anyone point me to a source for a wiring diagramn to make a keyboard pass-through instead? Richard

Guest Glenn Weston

Hi Richard, I am not sure of a PS/2 passthrough circuit but it may be able to be done, but can I suggest going with a USB keyboard, I have tested 4 USB keyboards connected all at the same time & this works a treat, no need to switch at all ! Also the USB keyboard can co-exist with the PS/2 unit plugged in as well.Cheers Glenn

Thanks, guys - If I'd thought about this up front, I'd have started with a USB keyboard, but the PS/2 one I used (99c from Goodwill ) is now mapped and has been soldered to headers and everything! I'll price up the PS/2 - USB adaptor. This is kinda "backburnered" at the moment though - I've bought a 64 button USB interface from Leo, which is going to be far easier to wire to a panel (single ground instead of a matrix) so this one - which was basically a learning project anyway - will be set aside at least for a while.Richard