Sign in to follow this  

"Version 2.0" DC-3 Cockpit Project

I am building a Flight Simulator Cockpit (a "SimPit") patterned after the Douglas DC-3. It's a two seater - so I can share the flight experience with my sons and friends. I am having a blast with this project.http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/images/v21.jpgHere are my design goals:1. Try to stylize the cockpit after the Douglas DC-3. 2. Obtain maximum "suspension of disbelief" with minimum effort and cost. 3. Build an enclosed two-seat cockpit, and try to make it fit in the family room. 4. Interface dual mechanical yokes, dual rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant to joystick innards. 5. Remove the requirement to use a mouse and keyboard, by using switches to control Microsoft Flight Simulator using a homemade keyboard interface. 6. Incorporate a quality multi-channel audio system. 7. Provide as much mechanical tactile feedback such as possible. Some ideas include force-feedback motors, tactile transducers for engine rumble and vibration, and electric motors for fuel pumps and general vibration. 8. Provide built-ins for storing maps, charts, pencils, E6B flight computer. Perhaps design a fold-away map table. 9. Use as much sheet aluminum as possible. http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/simpit2.0.htm - rschoolf's Version 2.0 Flight Simulator Cockpit Page, come visit...

Guest MikePowell

Pretty slick, Robert!Informative and interesting website as well.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.comInfo for simpit builders.

Guest MikePowell

Robert,If you haven't already replaced the damaged tactile transducers described in your version 1 sim page, a possibility is the bass shakers from All Electronics. www.allelectronics.com Cat# ast-1b. At $35 a pair, they seem cheaper than those offered through audio stores.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com