Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirPanther

Keyboard Encoder vs. Hagstrom

Guest AirPanther

Hello everyone, First of all, I would like to apologize for my long absence from the AVSIM forum. I have been busy building and have been neglecting e-mails and discussions. Between simming, working and school, I have had very little time for sleep!! I have noticed that a lot of builders are using Hagstrom cards for the CDU. I would like to suggest that you look into using a plain keyboard emulator for this task. The Hagstrom cards are great units, but are best saved for places where macros and toggle switches are needed. Plus, there is nothing to program with a regular keyboard encoder and you can switch the unit to any PC effortlessly. A lot of people have been asking when toggle switches will be usable with the keyboard interface as well. I have been sitting on a circuit for months, but time has not allowed me to test it. If you look at the following "How To..." on FlightSim.com, it is basically the same circuit. If you swap the relay for a Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR), you can save a few bucks per unit. I haven't tested it yet, but it's very cheap and theoretically it should work fine.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/toggle.htm Here are a few pics of my simulator to date. In the next month, I hope to have rudders and throttles.http://t-b-x.com/prather/777project/NewPro...es13d_large.jpghttp://t-b-x.com/prather/777project/NewPro...es13c_large.jpghttp://t-b-x.com/prather/777project/NewPro...te13c_large.jpgBest regards to all,Robert Pratherhttp://www.777Project.cjb.net

Guest PoRrEkE

I would suggest "LPTswitch" ;)Cost only up to 8 euro + price of the switches/buttons.No PCB's, just a little wiring and some soldering.Connects to the Printer port (LPT1)Check my post on this subject.Cheers,PhilippePS.Is fully capable of working together with a Hagstrom card + FSbus system, cuz neither of them uses the LPT port ;)

Guest AirPanther

I read your post with interest. What software are you using to drive the interface? OOPIC? BASIC?Robert

Guest PoRrEkE

Untill now I use VB.6I'm sortof a VB.Net programer, but for sum reason VB.Net managed to read the port correctly, but I could only send decimal 0 (so binary 00000000) to the out-port.I tried it in VB.6 and it worked fine.Recently I've found an other dll file which DOES do the job in VB.Net, so after release I might convert the code to VB.Net because it gives me a whole lot more opportunities to put in things I know. Also if people would recomend this to me, I could put a link to FSUIPC in there so that you get the choise of either outputting a key-(combo)-command from the program OR output a direct change into FS via FSUIPC and the known FS "tags" (e.g. GEAR_UP etc.)

Guest Mark McG

Robert,would this enable me to use SHIFT+X+Y type commands.I am interested in constructing my own home brew FMC for use with the 767 PIC software but have been put off by the cost of the Hagstrom unit. I have an old keyboard :-hah

Guest AirPanther

You won't be able to generate macros with just hese components. However, you could using a 555 timer to delay the second and third keypresses. I've been wanting to build that circuit for quite a while now as well, but have not gotten a chance to do so.Robert

Guest PoRrEkE

LPTswitch can do this for ya ;)just add the "+(xy)" to the key and vwala.for more info check my site ;)www.fokker50.be.tf

Guest AirPanther

Out of curiosity, what module are you using to read from the serial port. It'd be great to be able to read switch inputs directly into software.Robert

Guest PoRrEkE

I'm not using the serial port ... FSbus does that.I use the LPT (printer or COM port).So this system is compatible with either FSbus or Hagstrom.If you mean the dll with "which module do you use" it would be the DlPortIO.dll from www.sstnet.com (i think that is the url) This module however is inside the zip file I released.Cheers

Hello have a problem with LPT SWITCH! PushButton functioned only on Switch1 on all different only the SWITCH setting.was I made wrong! thanks for the answers!

Guest PoRrEkE

check the "LPTswitch.ini" file.it should have, at every beginning of the 40 lines, a "P" when you want a push-button and a "S" if you want a switch.after the P or S you should have the output you want.eg.Pa >> this will see switch1 as a push-button and will output "a"Sr >> this will see switch2 as a switch and will output "r"P{F1} >> this will see switch3 as a push-button and will output "F1"does this help ? let me know !

Hallo The instructions by LPT Swtich recognized (PuschButton Setting)but without keysending !The SWITCH setting work without problems!I edited the INI File nothing happens PushButton does not go!can you sand me your INI File!Help :(desmond99@directbox.com

Guest PoRrEkE

Sorry sorry sorry sorry !! big time :sThere was indeed a bug in my program. As someone else pointed out to me again, i started to have doubts and checked the code again. You are right to note that it was only on "position A1" you could use a push-button.Pls download the patched exe file zip from my site !CheersPhilippe Vanagt