Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

Wideview and it's effect on the sim

Guest Lobaeux4

I've got my three computers now, lined up and ready to take on the FS world. My question has to do with how much Wideview will slow down my systems.Right now I'm running FS2K2 on a XP 2400, 9800Pro, 512 RAM. It runs acceptable for me now, never dipping below 16FPS (although 3D mark scores are very, very low but does that really matter?).I've got all my extra software (RC v3, Squawkbox, Activesky, WideFS, RW, and ACARS) running on a Celeron 500, GeForce 2 MX, 256 RAM. Can I use this as a wideview client and how would it perform? Any ideas and is anyone else using such a lowly computer for their outside view? If I can use this as an outside view, I'd move all my other software to another computer. I've got a P266, Monster Fusion vid card, 128 RAM, and may try to use this for squawkbox, activesky, and ACARS.For my third computer I've got an XP 1700, GeForce 3 ti 200, 512 RAM. I'm not really worried about using this one, I think it can handle the exterior view just fine since it's what I was using before I went to the XP 2400. So, in the end, how do you guys think this Celeron 500 will work with wideview, and how much of a performance hit across the board (with the XP 2400 and XP 1700) will I incur with this setup? I can lower the eye candy just a bit, but I really don't want to go below 16 fps.Thanks a lot for the read and any suggestions,Lobaeux

>Right now I'm running FS2K2 on a XP 2400, 9800Pro, 512 RAM. >It runs acceptable for me now, never dipping below 16FPS>(although 3D mark scores are very, very low but does that>really matter?).It depends on which 3D Mark you used for your tests:with 3D Mark 2001 you should score up to 28000with 3D Mark 2002 you should score up to 13000with 3D Mark 2003 it think you should score up to 4/6000>I've got all my extra software (RC v3, Squawkbox, Activesky,>WideFS, RW, and ACARS) running on a Celeron 500, GeForce 2 MX,>256 RAM. Can I use this as a wideview client and how would it>perform? Any ideas and is anyone else using such a lowly>computer for their outside view? If I can use this as an>outside view, I'd move all my other software to another>computer.It depends on huw much graphic details you want.I just had a flash!WideView uses SLEW mode or Pause to move the plane, so all the simulation power is not required...So i think you can surely rise the detail from what it would be if you were running FS on that computer, although you need a very stable network and don't expect to use external views: i experienced videview only one afternoon when a friend of mine set up an exibition, and external views were not usable (jerky to say the least) while internals were ok.Also switching off all the panel options, should give that computer some more air, but anyway don't expect it to perform like the Athlon XP you have.>I've got a P266, Monster Fusion vid card, 128 RAM,>and may try to use this for squawkbox, activesky, and ACARS.>For my third computer I've got an XP 1700, GeForce 3 ti 200,>512 RAM. I'm not really worried about using this one, I think>it can handle the exterior view just fine since it's what I>was using before I went to the XP 2400. Sure, run the programs on the P266 (activesky processing may be slow, an try to take another 128megs of ram), and the XP1700 surely can handle an external view.>So, in the end, how do you guys think this Celeron 500 will>work with wideview, and how much of a performance hit across>the board (with the XP 2400 and XP 1700) will I incur with>this setup? I can lower the eye candy just a bit, but I>really don't want to go below 16 fps.It should not hurt your main computer performance, or at least not so much.Wideview server just sends some bytes every second, it's not all that cpu-intensive.And remembering that thing about the slew-mode being less cpu-hungry i think that you can surely use the XP1700, and try to get something out of that old celeron.Bye

Guest Lobaeux4

Thanks Erupter for your response, it's these that I'm looking for. Just a few questions though.>It depends on huw much graphic details you want.>I just had a flash!>WideView uses SLEW mode or Pause to move the plane, so all the>simulation power is not required...>So i think you can surely rise the detail from what it would>be if you were running FS on that computer, although you need>a very stable network and don't expect to use external views:>i experienced videview only one afternoon when a friend of>mine set up an exibition, and external views were not usable>(jerky to say the least) while internals were ok.>Also switching off all the panel options, should give that>computer some more air, but anyway don't expect it to perform>like the Athlon XP you have.So you're thinking the Celeron will probably only be able to handle a panel view and not, say, a right window view? Sortof like running Project Magenta gauges. If that's true I may have to pick up another comparable XP 2000 or so system.Maybe I'll have to stick to just a forward view and a left window view since I'm sitting in the left seat, eh?Also, wideview uses IPX right? I've got my network pretty stable using TCP/IP right now. Everything works, every computer is internet capable and I'm very happy with the way it's set up. Do I have to change the net to an IPX setup in order to use Wideview? This project could come to a screeching halt before I even begin.Thanks for the help, I should've done this long ago, my other computers have just been sitting dormant.Lobaeux>It depends on which 3D Mark you used for your tests:>with 3D Mark 2001 you should score up to 28000>with 3D Mark 2002 you should score up to 13000>with 3D Mark 2003 it think you should score up to 4/6000with 3d Mark 2003 I was getting a score of around 4800 I think. 3D Mark 2001 gave me around a measly 8600. I'm thinking I'm not using the full potential of my XP 2400 oc'd to 2.16 GHZ, Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra Mobo, ATI 9800 Pro, Crucial 512 DDR 400 RAM.

>So you're thinking the Celeron will probably only be able to>handle a panel view and not, say, a right window view?The panel view using wideview is very limited: since wideview does not transfer ALL variables, you can only have few instruments working.As i said, if you try to look at the frame rate in heavy zones (like a wilco airport if you have, or a simflyers' one), you can see that when you activate slew-mode the fps jumps up a lot!That's because FS stops calculating all the things concerned with the flight model.So a Celeron 500 used for wideview is surely capable of doing more that the same computer used for normal FS.But anyway you can't expect it to perform like you XP2400+.>Also, wideview uses IPX right?I have to say i don't remember :(As i said i used it only once, and i don't remember how did we set up the lan.Have a look at the docs.Anyway, usually it's possible to link both protocols to the same network card, thus allowing to use eighter one (or both) for any program.>with 3d Mark 2003 I was getting a score of around 4800 IThat's the figure for the 2003>think. 3D Mark 2001 gave me around a measly 8600. I'mUgh!I remember i did some 11k points with a Tbird 1400 with 3dmark 2001!That's strange, all the most because the 2003 score is just in the figure...>thinking I'm not using the full potential of my XP 2400 oc'd>to 2.16 GHZ, Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra Mobo, ATI 9800 Pro,>Crucial 512 DDR 400 RAM.Well, try 3d mark 2002 (should be between 11k and 14k), and anyway if the computer runs FS as you want, then there is no problem :)Oh, and 2.16ghz is just the 2600+ ;)Bye!